Hard data saves are a pain.

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.

Do you think hard,default type, data should be automatically saved by the BTP system.

Yes, everything I have keyed to date is missing.
25%
No, I havent had any problems with input data.
75%

Total votes: 4

FrugalBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Hard data saves are a pain.

Post by FrugalBrewer »

I know this is a topic that has been discussed many, many time before but, I am now getting hard and heavy into setting up BTP for use.

Okay heres what I have done.

In an attempt to set my calibration data on my equipment I opened a New Session in which I key in the data I have collected. To save said data, I chose to make the settings the default and saved them as a template.

I closed the session, exited the software, started it again, and as expected the information was there. So the next step was to open a file I had made prior to keying in this information.

Gues what, it aint there! I tried loading the template and the recipe disappears.

This is all very wrong, and whatever it does take to get the info to jive is way to complicated for the average shmo'. I just want to brew good beer, not learn an operating system.

Heres how it should go, IMO.

1.) All data input, by the user, into the BTP sessionsystem should automatically be saved as default data. This would include changes to ingredients, equipment, water, etc.. (with the caveat that updated info may overwrite said data changes)

2.) All user input data from above should as a core, default setup, be backwards compatible to files made prior to data input.

3.) The only files the user should have to worry about saving should be recipe files.

Does a of this make any sense? I will be glad to elaborate if necessary.

Note: Please dont take this post as beligerant, I am just very frustrated!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Hard data saves are a pain.

Post by jeff »

FrugalBrewer wrote:Gues what, it aint there! I tried loading the template and the recipe disappears.
You should not have saved your ingredient data with the template. Deselect the ingredients checkbox when you configure your template if you don't want the ingredients to be overwritten when applying the template.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
FrugalBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Hard data saves are a pain.

Post by FrugalBrewer »

jeff wrote:
FrugalBrewer wrote:Gues what, it aint there! I tried loading the template and the recipe disappears.
You should not have saved your ingredient data with the template. Deselect the ingredients checkbox when you configure your template if you don't want the ingredients to be overwritten when applying the template.
Okay, that worked. Thanks. But I still say user input info like water, equipment, edits to ingredients, etc.. should be saved in the database.
Although, user edited ingredients maybe should be duplicated first and then saved in a user database.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I haven't had a problem with how the program works for this operation, but I know that others have.

For me, it would be more intuitive if the equipment could be added to appear in the browse list without having to apply a Template, but I believe the central database is not user editable so the current system is required. Perhaps the Inventory feature will help deal with this?

Once you realize how the Default/Template aspects of the program work, however, it's quite easy to open your Default or Template, edit the equipment then re-save the edited Default or Template. I just always hesitate deciding which items need to be unchecked so that I don't ruin a recipe that I import or to which I apply a Template.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jctull
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by jctull »

Should ingredients be omitted from the list of "savable" items in a template? Is there ever a reason to have ingredients included? I suppose someone who always adjusts their water with a tablespoon of gypsum might want that, but maybe the program can disallow grains/adjuncts/hops, etc.
OS X 10.5, MBP, 2GB
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

The only time I can imagine saving ingredients in a Template would be if you always use the same set of ingredient for a few styles of beer, but make subtle changes from batch-to-batch. You could save a Pale Ale Template and open that up, editing the specifics. Of course, you colud do the same thing by just saving a basic recipe and editing it for a given session.

I can't see any reason to save ingredients to the Default, unless you only ever make subtle variations of the same one beer.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Here is a possible scenario..

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:I can't see any reason to save ingredients to the Default, unless you only ever make subtle variations of the same one beer.
I like having the ability to save ingredients to my Default Template (loaded automatically with every new session) because there are some ingredients I use with most every recipe. For example, I use Irish Moss as a clarifying agent. This is an ingredient that I would like to come up in my ingredient list automatically when I create a new recipe. However, I would not do the same for templates loaded on top of other recipes because the Irish Moss would wipe out the existing recipe.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

You know, I thought the Default wiped out the Ingrediants like a Template when I imported a recipe, but I guess I must never have tried that combination.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
kieran
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by kieran »

Can we pretty please be able to add user equipment to the database, permanently?

please please please!!! :)

cheers,
Kieran