Dead Space?? Terminology..Etc....

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Dead Space?? Terminology..Etc....

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Guys!

How is the term "Dead Space" defined and used in BTPro under the equipment/mash tun settings dialogue?
Also, There are numerous terms that BTPro uses and I would like more insight into all terms used. Now i'm not asking for a generic answer for any particular term, but a detailed defination of what the exact meaning of each term used in BTPro. I think that a complete description of all terms used in BTPro would be a great asset for the application. This would give the user an understanding of how BTPro works and why we get the results that we get. A complete glossary of terms is sorely needed.

Thanks for everything and I hope that I didn't confuse anyone. I brewed up one of my favorite recipes today...a 10 gallon batch of an American Pale Ale. and went strictly by the numbers that BTPro calculated and gave me. I hit every number on the nose..and thats including water usage, and OG. I am very happy with the results of today'ssession, and of of BTPro's figures so far. One thing i did run across was why BTPro does not list the Pre-Boil OG and the final OG. I think that the display and calculation of the pre-boil SG would be a useful feature for all brewers.
Any takers?

Thanks everyone!
Ron
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

I couldn't agree more on the need for a dictionary of terms BTP uses -- that's one of the reasons I haven't contributed to the BTP Wiki yet. If I don't know what a term specifically means in BTP, I have no way of knowing whether my way of doing something is the best way -- or even if it's the correct way. The way I look at it, if I know what the terms mean, I'll be able to figure out what I'm doing. If I have to guess at what everything means, I might as well just keep using the spreadsheet that I worked up over the past few years -- yes, it does about 1% of what BTP can theoretically do, but I know exactly what everything in there means. 8)
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Wiki...Dead Space...and a long saturday

Post by lathe »

First off:
Deadspace is the volume that cannot be drained from the vessel. While in the vessel, the deadspace volume is used in the calculations - including thickness.

As for the wiki I spent about 10 hours on it today getting it into shape. Still needs a lot of data...but it should be easier to find what you need and add what you know.

Let me know what you need...and I will work on it.

Here is another link to the BeerTools Pro Documentation Wiki.
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Dead Space?? Terminology..Etc....

Post by bzwrxbz »

wottaguy wrote:One thing i did run across was why BTPro does not list the Pre-Boil OG and the final OG. I think that the display and calculation of the pre-boil SG would be a useful feature for all brewers.
Any takers?

Thanks everyone!
Ron
Run the cursor over the Kettle Volume (for preboil grav) textbox, and run over the Final Volume (for postboil grav) textbox for gravities.
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Wiki...Dead Space...and a long saturday

Post by just-cj »

lathe wrote:As for the wiki I spent about 10 hours on it today getting it into shape. Still needs a lot of data...but it should be easier to find what you need and add what you know.
Excellent -- thank you very very very much! :mrgreen:
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Yes, very nice. lathe. Very nice! Thanks :D :D
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by wottaguy »

bzwrxbz...thanks a LOT! I totally forgot about that feature. Thanks a lot for the info Lathe. I'll go check it out.
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Dead Space?? Terminology..Etc....

Post by billvelek »

wottaguy wrote:How is the term "Dead Space" defined and used in BTPro under the equipment/mash tun settings dialogue? ... snip
Ron, this was also discussed in this thread which you might find interesting: http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewtopi ... e&start=90 -- the last three posts on page 7 and the first several on page 8 of that thread.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768