Jeff/Lathe: how are things progressing?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Jeff/Lathe: how are things progressing?

Post by billvelek »

I am the owner of the 'Brewing Equipment' Yahoo Group with 500 members; since I consider brewing software to be close enough to 'equipment', I have been very anxious to discuss BTP there, which will hopefully promote your sales and the expansion of our user base. However, I have been postponing initiating the subject while there were still some unresolved bugs -- which I think we are pretty much past now -- or while there are impending improvements. I believe one of you indicated recently that you are working on implementation of some new features, such as a session screen, and I know that a number of users have expressed interest in a fermentation tab, etc.

I have no problem with how quickly you fellows improve BTP; I think you are doing a great job, and I know a lot of this takes a lot of time so I am not becoming impatient in the least. On the other hand, I'm not sure if it is best for me to postpone an overall discussion if you are still 'far away' from your next upgrade. I'm not expecting a commitment to a self-imposed deadline, but can you give us a very rough ball park idea of when the next upgrade will be completed and what it will contain? If it is a good idea to just go ahead and maybe promote it a bit on my group without waiting for an upgrade, it would probably be helpful to be able to mention specifically which new features are being prepared for a future upgrade. Also, let me know if you have any preference for when I bring up the subject there; once it has been discussed, I don't know how much interest there would be in revisiting it later after new features are deployed, so I want to take my best shot at the best time.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Progressing...

Post by lathe »

Bill,

We have been pretty busy on many fronts. Jeff has been hammering away on several BeerTools projects, I'm looking forward to seeing his latest work. It's stuff he sketched out several years ago...so it is fun to see it coming to life. I have been trying to get the documentation wiki populated (it has about 450 pages now...many of them very short pages). We would like to have documentation fleshed out to help out our newer members..and to lessen some of our time spent writing tech support e-mail.

BTW, Bill, thank you for helping out in the wiki (and several others members.) Please keep it coming.

As far as the brewing group you mentioned...that is a very kind offer. Among many features we are tackling, Inventory and Session recording are still not ready for prime-time. For many users these are features that are simply of no use. For other users these are make or break features. So, if you think this will have a negative impact then...We trust your judgement.

Whatever you decide is fine.
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff