Why no trial version???

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.

Would you be more likely to purchase if there were a trial version?

Yes
71%
No, I'll buy anyway.
29%

Total votes: 28

shortbus901

Post by shortbus901 »

I'm in the market for software right now & I keep holding out for a trial version of this one. The interface looks really nice but I just don't think there is any way I will buy without trying it out first :(
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

A possible alternative to a trial version

Post by billvelek »

shortbus901 wrote:I'm in the market for software right now & I keep holding out for a trial version of this one. The interface looks really nice but I just don't think there is any way I will buy without trying it out first :(
Jeff and Lathe, people like me who have already purchased BTP have an indirect interest in seeing that this is a very successful program; not only will it create a larger pool of users from which we can eventually expect recipes, and possible tips, contributions to the Wiki, and probably participation in other BT.com forums, but the financial success of BTP will ensure continued program support and development with more and/or better features. More customers at this point -- and BTP is now fixed and polished enough that I would expect all new ones to be 'satisfied' customers -- also means more word of mouth exposure and referrals to speed growth and further expand the user base of BTP. I therefore hate to see anyone decline to purchase BTP just because they can't try it first. I don't know what programming difficulties you are or would encounter in trying to create a trial version that could be used for only a limited time (I hate the ones that won't allow you to try all features). But it seems to me that there is one possible way that you could almost "eat your cake and have it too" ... by nearly accomplishing the same thing without the need for any programming at all; instead, it merely requires a "satisfaction or money back guarantee" that you will stand behind, at least for some limited period of time, e.g., a month or two. With the registration requirements that you now have, and the expectation of future releases that only a customer in good standing could download, and requirements to access recipes online, I would think that this would be pretty good protection for you. Sure, there is no doubt the possibility that someone will demand their money back and keep using the program, but I feel that this would rarely happen and hopefully only with folks who would not have purchased your program otherwise -- in which case your only loss is in your site's download time and in administering a refund. Just my two cents, but with the poll showing that 70% would be more likely to purchase if they could try it first, I can't see how you can afford to not do one or the other -- trial version or guarantee.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Speyedr
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Speyedr »

I just signed up to this forum for two reasons:

1 - I've heard it touted on other forums and am always looking for good folks to talk to about making all of our beer better.

2 - I wanted to give my 2 cents about a trial version. I use Beersmith now. I used to use Promash. I switched after the trial of Beersmith showed me that it was easier to navigate and had most of the features I was looking for. I am always looking to improve my beer and my brewing experience. If I could evaluate a trial version of BTP, and it is as good as everyone says it is, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for listening.

Rob
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Meanwhile ... there are videos

Post by billvelek »

Without a trial version, perhaps viewing these videos is the next best thing:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=B ... +Pro&hl=en. I hope there will be more of them.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768