Jeff/Lathe: Suggestion and Question

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Jeff/Lathe: Suggestion and Question

Post by billvelek »

Just did a bit of work on the Wiki, which is not being developed as quickly as I had hoped.

Suggestion: The only link to the Wiki from this forum (and indirect at that) is through the "BeerTools Pro Documentation" forum, but because it bears the "Locked" icon, that might dissuade folks from looking in the forum and finding the link to the Wiki. Any chance that we can get a direct link that is listed on the forums index? Also, I want to repeat my previous suggestion that a link to the Wiki be listed under BTP's "Online" menu command, as well as on the BeerTools.com main page.

Question: While trying to write the Wiki for the Grain Editor, I discovered what looks like a data-entry error in your grain database, or possibly a non-functioning math field. I've learned that the field 'FG-CG' is supposed to be the percentage value of 'DBFG' minus the percentage value of 'DBCG'; first, I expected that BTP would automatically do the math, but I guess users need to enter it, which is fine. But while checking this out, using "American 2-row" base malt, your database has the following values:
'DBFG' = 77.91%
'DBCG' = 76.41%
The difference is clearly 1.5%, but your db has a 'FG-CG' value of 1.93%
I don't know whether BTP uses that field for calculations or if it is just for info, or maybe I am incorrect in my understanding that it is the difference in values between 'fg' and 'cg'. Is this an error, and does it matter?

Finally, there are just a couple of fields on the grain editor that I have not yet been able to identify for the Wiki. Could you clue me in?
EDIT: Could you also insert an image there of the grain editor window? The Wiki subject is 'Database | Grains'.

Thanks.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

Re: Jeff/Lathe: Suggestion and Question

Post by slothrob »

billvelek wrote:...database has the following values:
'DBFG' = 77.91%
'DBCG' = 76.41%
The difference is clearly 1.5%, but your db has a 'FG-CG' value of 1.93%...
I believe this is the % difference, as opposed to the difference between the two percents.
So, (77.91%-76.41%)/77.91%=0.01925, or 1.93%.
Last edited by slothrob on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I guess that answers that ...

Post by billvelek »

Yes, I see that now; that seems to explain it exactly. Well, I'm learning as I go along. Noonan's article (referenced in my update to our Wiki under 'Database | Grains') does not explain that, and in fact, uses a different expression of "Grind Difference", which appears to be one divided by the other ... or at least he expresses it as "FG/CG". I will now go back and change the Wiki to indicate the correct formula used here.

Thanks.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768