Equipment Profile and Calibration

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
FrugalBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Equipment Profile and Calibration

Post by FrugalBrewer »

I have read and do understand how to setup equipment and calibrate them.

What I am unclear on is how BTP utilizes the info.

Should I set up and calibrate ALL of my vessels and Heat sources?

For instance,

I have a HLT with independant heating.
I have a Gott MLT.
I have a 16 Gallon Kettle w heat source.

Should I create a profile for each?

Should I only creat a MLT profile?

Is BTP intelligent enough to utilize the profile info from all of them?

I am confused! Help, please.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Equipment Profile and Calibration

Post by jeff »

FrugalBrewer wrote:Should I set up and calibrate ALL of my vessels and Heat sources?

For instance,

I have a HLT with independant heating.
I have a Gott MLT.
I have a 16 Gallon Kettle w heat source.

Should I create a profile for each?

Should I only creat a MLT profile?

Is BTP intelligent enough to utilize the profile info from all of them?
When you have your equipment list set up, you decide where and when each piece of equipment is used when setting up your mash schedule. Depending on the type of step, you can select heat sources or vessels to use for the step. For example, when creating the mash-in step, you have to select the mashing vessel, the heating vessel (if not the same as mashing vessel) and the heat source used to heat the strike water. The mash-in uses these pieces of equipment and their settings to calculate the result.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jctull
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by jctull »

I believe you do want to calibrate everything. A PITA, but it allows the program to manage your time schedule much more accurately. For instance, the program will know how long it will take to heat your infusion water, etc. This is all shown in the schedule graph. Some educated guesses and tinkering as you notice differences during an actual brew may suffice for your needs. It has for mine, and appears to be pretty accurate as well.

You might also search the forums for other people's settings on equipment because someone else may have already worked out the numbers. Absolute accuracy requires you to do your own, but most of us do not need absolute accuracy on anything except the mash temperature calculations. So I would recommend calibrating your mashtun at a minimum.
OS X 10.5, MBP, 2GB
FrugalBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Unexpected Results in calibrating a mash tun

Post by FrugalBrewer »

Ummmm. Hello.

Okay so I am going through the step to calibrate my Mash Tun "Vessle".

Infusion Volume = 10 Gallons
Infusion Temp = 167*F
Infusion Temp @ 5 min et = 167*F
Infusion Temp @ 30 min et = 181*F...........what the ^&*$?

It appears that as time goes by, my water temp.................. rises(?).

Okay, stupid question........Should I leave the lid....off?
Brant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by Brant »

I hate to say it, but I think you have fried the probe wire on your digital thermometer. If you aren't using such a device, then I'm wrong. But if you are, then the steam in the tun has allowed too much moisture to enter the junction where the wire enters the metal probe. Speaking from several instances of experience, the result is that the thermometer will read dozens of degrees to hot from now on -- until you get a new probe for it. And next time, don't leave the probe inside the tun and instead just take "instant read" readings, instead.
FrugalBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by FrugalBrewer »

Brant wrote:I hate to say it, but I think you have fried the probe wire on your digital thermometer.......................... get a new probe for it. And next time, don't leave the probe inside the tun and instead just take "instant read" readings, instead.

Methinks youve hit the head right on the nail. I fried my temp-o-meter probe. Da%%^%$^t!
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

Personally, I only drink while I'm brewing ... not while I'm calibrating things. :D Just kidding you.

Obviously, something isn't correct with either your thermometer, your readings, or your procedures. Your tun should be at room temp when you calibrate, so that couldn't raise the temp of your water. What were your procedures?

Re the lid, I think you should calibrate your equipment the way you use it; most folks have a lid on their mash tun (never heard of one without a lid), so, yes, you should calibrate with the lid on if you mash with the lid on. BTP is trying to detemine how quickly temps drop during a mash.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
FrugalBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by FrugalBrewer »

billvelek wrote:Personally, I only drink while I'm brewing ... not while I'm calibrating things. :D Just kidding you.
think makes ? I've drinking What been you LOL :mrgreen:
Brant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by Brant »

The good news is that the probe was ruined during the calibration, rather than during a mash. Imagine mashing at 20* cooler than you thought you were -- and yes, I very nearly did that once before I quit using that type of thermometer.