Downloading BTP -- File Strangeness

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Downloading BTP -- File Strangeness

Post by just-cj »

I've been faithfully downloading the BTP updates, and have had a recurring problem that happened again today. In Mac OSX (2, 3 and 4 are all the same), the download arrives as a disk image. It's saved to my hard drive, usually the desktop. Everything is fine so far. I double click the disk image, and it decompresses and opens -- and then the disk image is automatically sent to the trash. Why is that? It's the only disk image that behaves that way. In order to save the disk image to my backup disk, I have to drag it out of the trash and then copy it. If this is a "feature," I wish it would be taken out; if it's not a feature, then I hope it can be fixed.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Apple internet enabled .dmg

Post by jeff »

The disk image files that are downloaded are "internet enabled" which means they automatically mount and the .dmg is discarded. This is done for the less computer savvy individuals who download BTP; and, although I prefer the files not to end up in the trash either, it will just have to be an extra few seconds we have to spend getting the file out of the trash when updates come out. Thanks for your patience. :(

I'm not sure why yours don't mount however. Using Safari or something else?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

I'm using Netscape 7.2, and in the dialog box there's a choice for "Save to disk," which is my default. There's also a choice for automatically opening, but a lot of times with other downloads, I don't want to immediately install, so I chanced the default. But I've never had the "auto trash" thing happen with other downloads that I remember.

The weird thing is that even if I save the disk image to my backup disk and then launch the disk image from the backup, after the image is mounted, the original file gets trashed.

Thanks for the explanation -- I'll just have to keep being careful so I don't empty the trash before I drag it out. :oops:
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Under Safari, the file seems to behave normally, the dmg is off the desktop, but the opened folder containing 19 is there.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jctull
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by jctull »

For Safari users, you go under the preferences, general tab and uncheck "open safe files after downloading" to make dmg's not automatically mount. There are security concerns about allowing dmg's to mount automatically.
OS X 10.5, MBP, 2GB