Special grains for extract brews

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

fully_krausened
Light Lager
Light Lager

Special grains for extract brews

Post by fully_krausened »

Hello folks,
I have been aware of this site for a while but only recently registered. I have been brewing (extract) for a few years. I have searched the archives and many other sources but have not found a definative answer to my question. I apologize in advance if this has been covered and I did not find it. My question is this. What grains can I use for extract brewing that do not require full-on mashing, all grain techniques? Am I limited to only chocolate, crystal, toasted, black patent and roasted malts? Some day i will "progress" to partial mash brewing when I have more time available, but for now I would love to have a little more control with the convenience (time) of extract brewing. Malts such as Special B, smoked malts, Belgian biscuit, Cara-pils, etc. Can these be steeped or do they require full blown mash procedures? Is there a list somewhere that someones can point me to that explains clearly what is what? Hope my question is clear and someone can help me out. Thanks!
slothrob

Re: Special grains for extract brews

Post by slothrob »

fully_krausened wrote: Malts such as Special B, smoked malts, Belgian biscuit, Cara-pils, etc. Can these be steeped or do they require full blown mash procedures?
Of these I believe only Special B can be steeped. The Cara-pils I'm not positive about, but the dextrine grains generally need to be steeped.

For a limited list, see How to Brew (also, some more grains are listed on the next page of that link), by John Palmer. There's a more thorough list somewhere, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
fully_krausened
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks slothrob.
That helps. Searching online I seem to come up with some grains that can be steeped, but I get conflicting info from different sources. I sorta understand all the enzyme process but cannot tell which grains have what in terms of enzymes.

That will add a few to my repertoire though. Thanks again. Let me know if you have any luck finding that list.
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

The crystal malts, black patent and roasted barley can also be steeped. The crystal malts have essentially been mashed inside the kernel during the malting/kilning process.

Todd
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Try This Grain Page

Post by brewmeisterintng »

slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I believed that Biscuit needed to be mashed, but the table says otherwise.

Interesting that only Breiss Carapils needs to be mashed, while other brands can be steeped. The table says that Carafoam can be steeped, and this is often indicated as an alternative to Carapils in recipes (with the added benefit of a head you can float a quarter on).
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
fully_krausened
Light Lager
Light Lager

Awesome! :D
Thanks everyone. This helps alot. Can't wait to get back to my local homebrew shop! Time to work up some new recipes...