BTP Documentation Wiki?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

BTP Documentation Wiki?

Post by bzwrxbz »

Perhaps a wiki is a solution to the Documentation problem.

I am not an expert on such things, but i can see it being valuable in so much as...

1. It is easily adaptable to new releases.
2. Info can occasionally be taken from the wiki, and placed into the BTP help.
3. Registered (if possible) Users can add/edit to the wiki as needed, in a semi organized effort.

Does this seem like a reasonable thing? Can this be setup on the beertools server?

cheers!
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: BTP Documentation Wiki?

Post by billvelek »

bzwrxbz wrote:Perhaps a wiki is a solution to the Documentation problem. ... snip
That sounds like a good idea; is there one set up yet? If not, how and where?

Cheers.

Bill Velek
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

BeerTools Pro Documentation Wiki

Post by lathe »

We have set up the BeerTools Pro Documentation Wiki.

Please feel free to explore and add on to it.
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Suggest links to BTP Wiki, etc.

Post by billvelek »

lathe wrote:We have set up the BeerTools Pro Documentation Wiki. ... snip
Just a thought, but unless I've somehow missed it, I don't find any links on your website to the BTP Wiki. Also, unless a BTP user happens to visit the forums, there would be no way to know about the Wiki that I can see; I therefore suggest that BTP be modified to include a direct link to the Wiki via one of the menu dropdowns -- either "Online" or "Help". It would also be a convenience to have the link there.

Finally, we need more participation in the Wiki, but I have no idea how that can be accomplished. I plan to try to work on this more, but time is a factor ... as I'm sure it is for everyone. Anyway, thanks for setting up the Wiki.

EDIT: As a postscript, I noticed that the BTP Documentation thread/forum has been locked. In some forums, when a thread is locked, new messages can't be posted there, but the previous messages can still be read. Here, all messages appear to have been deleted, and I can't find my posts to that forum by using the "View Your Posts" feature, either. My only concern is that I think there might have been some good ideas expressed in that thread regarding the particular areas needing clarification and probably some useful suggestions, too. I just thought I would peruse that thread before picking something to write for the Wiki. Is there any chance that that thread can be retrieved. I just think we have lost a good stepping-off place, and I am sorry to see that it is gone ... even if it might have contained some criticisms of BTP.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Last edited by billvelek on Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I'll try and donate some time, soon.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Suggest links to BTP Wiki, etc.

Post by just-cj »

billvelek wrote:
lathe wrote:I therefore suggest that BTP be modified to include a direct link to the Wiki via one of the menu dropdowns -- either "Online" or "Help". It would also be a convenience to have the link there.

Finally, we need more participation in the Wiki, but I have no idea how that can be accomplished. I plan to try to work on this more, but time is a factor ... as I'm sure it is for everyone. Anyway, thanks for setting up the Wiki.
Bill, I think you have the solution to the problem of too little participation right there -- add a hot link inside BTP. At least then users will click on it, find out what it is, and add their comments (hopefully).
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Ingredients display explained

Post by billvelek »

If someone wants to check it for accuracy, I just added a section to the Overview page where I described the Ingredients display and what the bar graphs represent for each ingredient. I hope I have it right; if not, I presume that someone else can edit it.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Lathe, what does the asterisk mean here ...

Post by billvelek »

Working on the Wiki again, and noticed -- while checking the menu command: 'Edit | Preferences | Units | Color' -- that there is an asterisk preceeding 'SRM' and 'Lovibond'. What does that mean or represent?

Cheers.

Bill Velek
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I bet that's supposed to be a degrees symbol, not an asterisk.

SRM and L are both expressed in the units "degrees".
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Ooops; the 'asterisk' is actually a degree sign

Post by billvelek »

Thanks for pointing that out, slothrob. Even with my glasses on, I had to lean forward to get real close to my screen to see that they are, in fact, degree symbols rather than asterisks. :oops:

Cheers.

Bill Velek