Packaging Tool?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

I noticed the same thing on an earlier version, but I was just playing around and didn't worry about it at the time. I haven't noticed it lately.
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by djavet »

slothrob wrote:Yeah, I couldn't duplicate this either.
When I change the "Unit" field, the units change from Gallons to Liters.
Do you add bottle? The bug are in the bottle total.

Dom
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Okay, djavet, I'm getting the same bug now ... PLUS another

Post by billvelek »

djavet wrote:
slothrob wrote:Yeah, I couldn't duplicate this either.
When I change the "Unit" field, the units change from Gallons to Liters.
Do you add bottle? The bug are in the bottle total.

Dom
The bug doesn't always appear, which is why I couldn't find it before. If my system is already set to 'Gallons' when I begin, as it usually is, and then I change to liters, all of the packaging volumes change. However, if I have Liters selected prior to the selection of any packaging units, then those packages (all of them, including liters) default to 'gal' for the total volume that they use. Clicking on 'Liter' again does no good; however, if you change to 'Gallon' and then BACK to 'Liter', it displays correctly.

The second bug, which is pretty minor, is that whenever I select a packaging preset, BTP defaults to a quantity of bottles that just barely exceeds my final volume and causes me to display a negative volume. For instance, with 10 gallons final volume, when I select U.S. Pints, BTP chooses 81 for me, which is too many because there are exactly 80 pints in 10 gallons. All I need to do is decrement the quantity by one, or leave it alone because it really isn't any big deal anyway, but little problems like this might cause a new user or potential buyer to doubt the accuracy of BTP in other regards.

Also, as I've suggested before, when number of containers starts at zero, it should not begin to increment in tenths of a unit because that just wastes time and no one is going to bottle just part of a bottle.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by djavet »

Hummm I will test this tonight. Thx.

And what going's on with the trub, etc...
With a start of 19liter, I never finish with 19, but ~17.5 or 18 liters
How to correct this?

Dom
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Use

Post by billvelek »

djavet wrote:Hummm I will test this tonight. Thx.

And what going's on with the trub, etc...
With a start of 19liter, I never finish with 19, but ~17.5 or 18 liters
How to correct this?

Dom
Use the display for 'Volume Adjustments', which appears between 'Schedule' and 'Packaging'. I missed seeing that earlier myself; when you finally become fully acquainted with BTP, which took me a bit of time, it looks like just about everything is covered. Very nice program; I am impressed.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Similar 'units' bug? on 'Schedule' display

Post by billvelek »

Okay, I went in and changed or confirmed every setting that I could in order to tell BTP to display gallons instead of liters. That includes 'preferences', the 'edit' screens for my vessels, and all of my 'display' screens. I then selected the schedule preset for 'two-step infusion'. Everywhere in BTP my volume is expressed in gallons, except for the sparge which shows two water additions with the top one expressed in liters and the bottom one in gallons; the top one is the only place on the entire display where volume is expressed in liters. I have entered the 'edit' page for the sparge and everything is set to gallons, so this looks like a small bug -- possibly due to using the preset. I'll try setting the steps individually in a few minutes to see if my results change.

Also, I'd like to comment about that two-step preset; I don't recall whether I noticed or mentioned this before, since I've mostly created my own schedule rather than use the preset, but the preset does not indicate the volume or temp of infusion needed for 'mash out' -- even when 'heat source' is indicated as 'none'. Incidentally, when editing 'mash out', the title of that pop-up window is "Direct Heat", whereas I use an infusion, which probably explains it. Is this preset presuming that I am draining my tun into a kettle that is already on a heat source? ... because I don't have that capability (not a tiered system). Now, also on the two-step preset, I notice that the 'sparge' shows two water additions -- as mentioned above -- which I thought might include the 'mash out' infusion (top volume) and then the actual sparge water (bottom volume); however, when I experiment and change my mashout temp, the temp of the first water value in the edit sparge window does not change. If it is NOT the mashout infusion, then why two water additions on the sparge when I have not selected that (the preset did); for a fly sparge, it should be one long addition, and for batch sparging, I use the '+' button on the sparge edit screen to add subsequent additions. So I can't figure out what is going on here with the preset. If this isn't a bug, then any help in understanding this will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill Velek
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Bill,
Good detective work on that bug,
Eric
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks. Look at this ...

Post by billvelek »

Someone suggested a Wiki, and I haven't heard that one is started, so I started one here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeerToolsPro_User_Manual

Please feel free to correct anything that I have wrong. This is just a start. No time to do more right now.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Forget it. ... Wait a minute; I've salvaged it.

Post by billvelek »

Wikipedia dumped it without even giving me a chance to copy it and save it for another forum. I just spend about an hour for nothing. No more of this for me. I've got other stuff to do. I'll let Jeff and Lathe handle this now.

EDIT: I was able to retrieve it and it is now posted in the 'Beer Tools Pro Documentation' forum.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Last edited by billvelek on Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Okay, djavet, I'm getting the same bug now ... PLUS anot

Post by djavet »

billvelek wrote:However, if I have Liters selected prior to the selection of any packaging units, then those packages (all of them, including liters) default to 'gal' for the total volume that they use. Clicking on 'Liter' again does no good; however, if you change to 'Gallon' and then BACK to 'Liter', it displays correctly.
Thx Bill for the tip. It's working. But annoying.
Hope this willl be corrected soon.

Dom