Schedule Question..

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Schedule Question..

Post by wottaguy »

Hi all!

I have a recipe that has 11 schedule steps set up. BTPro allowed me to create these 11 steps for my schedule without any problems. I have saved the recipe and when I re-open it and click on either the Display/Schedule in the drop down OR the Schedule Tab on the bottom to view the schedule, the application hangs up and throws an "Application Not Responding" error. This also happens when I try to Print the recipe. It will print one page of the print out and will also print the first 4 steps of the schedule, then throws the above error and aborts the print job.
Is there a limit of the number of steps allowed in the schedule and if so why? Otherwise, this may be a potiential Bug within the app.
Any suggestions or ideas??

I am running BTPro ver 1.0.18

Thanks!
Ron
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I set up a 12 step schedule to test this, basically by adding in a bunch of unneccessary rest steps, without duplicating the error. This implies that the problem lies, not in the number of steps, but in the particular combination of steps you used or a difference between the Mac and Windows versions.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Schedule Question..

Post by jeff »

wottaguy wrote:I have a recipe that has 11 schedule steps set up. BTPro allowed me to create these 11 steps for my schedule without any problems. I have saved the recipe and when I re-open it and click on either the Display/Schedule in the drop down OR the Schedule Tab on the bottom to view the schedule, the application hangs up and throws an "Application Not Responding" error. This also happens when I try to Print the recipe. It will print one page of the print out and will also print the first 4 steps of the schedule, then throws the above error and aborts the print job.
Do you have the recipe saved? It might be helpful if you can send a copy of the file to me. What is the 5th step in the schedule? Thanks.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Schedule Question

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Jeff!
Yes I have the recipe saved. Funny thing is that right after I created the recipe and saved it I was able to close it and open again without a problem! Today it is giving me the error described above. I can send the file over to you. What email address should I send it to?

Thanks!
Ron

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: RE: Schedule Question

Post by jeff »

wottaguy wrote:What email address should I send it to?
At the bottom of this post you should see an email button.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

oops! just sent it

Post by wottaguy »

oops!! ok Jeff...sorry. I just sent it!

Ron

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

get em ok?

Post by wottaguy »

Jeff,

Did you get my email with the file in question ok? I had to use yahoo mail to send it as I do not use pop here.

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: get em ok?

Post by jeff »

wottaguy wrote:Jeff,

Did you get my email with the file in question ok? I had to use yahoo mail to send it as I do not use pop here.
Yes I received it but I have not found the solution yet. It has something to do with the heat sources. Hope to get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the file.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Re: get em ok?

Post by wottaguy »

ok Jeff...thanks for looking into this issue. You guy's are great!

Ron

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Jeff...Good News!

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Jeff...!!

I actually managed to correct the problem. The problem was in the Heat Source section under the heating element entry. The calibration was incorrectly set at 8 gallons. After I corrected it and changed it to 3 gallons everything started working! I saved the file and re-opened it and viola! no more problems! What a stroke of luck!
Now... i went back and changed the setting back to 8 gallons, and it is still working. hummm....maybe some corruption creeping in thru the Heat Source area. But i'm not sure how.
I guess what I did was to re-write the setting and it corrected itself and started to work again.

Just thought you should know! If you would like the corrected file I would be happy to send it to you as well.

BTW...when you reviewed the file. did you have the same problems with it as I did? Just wondering....

Thanks!
Ron

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Same problem

Post by jeff »

Yes, the application froze up on me. I could see some wacky numbers in the schedule, really, really big ones. Which indicated to me that there was a value very close to zero (0) somewhere. I just hadn't found the problem area yet. I'm glad you worked it out.

One thing I did notice that may throw some of your calculations off was how you set up your 60K burner. You can't expect to transfer 100% of the rated output of a burner. A lot of the heat is lost to the environment, and only a fraction of it is actually transfered to your pot. With your existing setup, you may notice unusually short heating times.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Same problem

Post by wottaguy »

Jeff...
What setting would you suggest for the 60K burner?? How's 75% sound? This recipe also contains a single separate cereal/grain decotion step and the use of my electric element heat exchanger to maintain mash temps. Were you able to view that and if so, did I go about setting up these conditions correctly? Any suggestions?

Just noticed..were you referring to the ramp up temp steps that show 100%? If so those steps refer to my electric element heat exchanger and not the 60K burner. I have the burner step set at 50%.

Thanks again Jeff for taking the time with this issue.

Ron

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: RE: Same problem

Post by jeff »

wottaguy wrote:What setting would you suggest for the 60K burner?? How's 75% sound?
I wish I knew. Let me know if you find anything out. Perhaps you can work a calibration into your process. Take a couple notes when heating something.
wottaguy wrote:This recipe also contains a single separate cereal/grain decotion step and the use of my electric element heat exchanger to maintain mash temps. Were you able to view that and if so, did I go about setting up these conditions correctly? Any suggestions?
I would set up a vessel in your equipment such as "Mash Tun w/ Heat Exchanger". Since your exchanger maintains temperature, it compensates for heat loss. Thus you don't want BTP to calculate heat loss. To simulate this, set your temp after 65 minutes to the same as temp after 5 minutes.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: RE: ....

Post by wottaguy »

Jeff...

Yes...I know I have some equipment calibrations to perform and perhaps this is why I had the problem in the first place. I'll try to do all my calibrations this weekend and see what I come up with.

Thanks again
Ron

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common