Preboil gravity readings

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
Joe028
Light Lager
Light Lager

Preboil gravity readings

Post by Joe028 »

Fairly new to BTP and I can't figure out how to figure a couple things. I see where my original gravity and terminal gravity is calculated, but how can I find my pre-boil SG. Post mash I would like to take a gravity reading and figure out how close I will be to my OG after I boil off and cool to room temp. Thanks.

Joe
etbandit
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Preboil gravity readings

Post by etbandit »

Joe028 wrote:Fairly new to BTP and I can't figure out how to figure a couple things. I see where my original gravity and terminal gravity is calculated, but how can I find my pre-boil SG. Post mash I would like to take a gravity reading and figure out how close I will be to my OG after I boil off and cool to room temp. Thanks.

Joe
Good Question?

BTP gives the predicted OG reading post boil. But it would be great if it could also calculate the Pre-boil OG, which would give us a target to aim for.
Joe028
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Joe028 »

in search for an answer I came up with a somewhat crude solution. I opened a new blank recipe and put in enough 2-row malt to equal an OG equal to that of my actual recipe at the 5.25gal (or whatever your post-boil volume is). Then I change the final volume to my pre-boil volume with OUT Scaling. The OG is adjusted to that volume. Works for now, but yeah that would be nice if it was calculated for you.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

version 1.0.17

Post by jeff »

The latest update addresses this issue. The help tag displays pre-boil gravity when mousing over the kettle volume. Likewise the help tag displays the original gravity when mousing over the final volume field.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
etbandit
Light Lager
Light Lager

Pre-boil gravity readings

Post by etbandit »

jeff wrote:The latest update addresses this issue. The help tag displays pre-boil gravity when mousing over the kettle volume. Likewise the help tag displays the original gravity when mousing over the final volume field.
I am using BTP 1.0.21, but still cant seem to display the pre-boil gravity even when moving the mouse over the kettle volume or final volume fields. What is the help tag your referring to?
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I'm running 1.0.22 and can confirm that mousing over kettle and final volume does work.
Jeff would it be possible to put the pre-boil gravity on the print out next to or under the total run-off?

Thanks,
jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
etbandit
Light Lager
Light Lager

Pre-boil gravity readings

Post by etbandit »

I've tried running 1.0.22 but it won't load. Gives me the following error:

Runtime error 4: Failed Assertion
failure condition: pluginEntrytable.getEntry(entrypointname, out)
failure message: cant find plugin melthod extingeger__init

Im using Mac OS 10.2.8 1Ghz PowerPC G4

Can anyone advise?