Spontaneous fermentation

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

A Dokus Recipe

Spontaneous fermentation

Post by A Dokus Recipe »

Has anyone tried spontaneous fermentation ie leaving say 1 pint of wort outside overnight, then using it for a starter? What enivronment did you do this in (orchard nearby)? Can you share your experience...Lambics are made this way south west of Brussels in Pajotteland!
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

See below

Post by Freon12 »

There is a discusion of this very subject under souring wort below.
A Dokus Recipe

Fermentation via microflora

Post by A Dokus Recipe »

microflora is not discussed below; comments below barely show understanding of lambic, let alone spontaneous fermentation...
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Microflora

Post by Freon12 »

That's a fancy word for bacteria. If you want Brussels type bacteria instead of the lactobaccillus we have readily availible, then you must trek to Brussels with a media jar. Also may I suggest "Lambic classic beer styles #3" by Jean-Xavier Guinard a brewers publication.
A Dokus Recipe

Re Original Question

Post by A Dokus Recipe »

Tks for the reference which I have read. My original question was: has anyone tried to use the local bacteria to ferment a beer? What differences could be observed? I tried this in Arlington, Va and had no problem getting a starter going...maybe there are other "microflora" still to be discovered! In ancient times "microflora" (rather than the readily available lactobaccillius) was the source for almost all fermentation...So back to the original question: has anyone tried s.f.?