anybody have good sanke keg dimensions for proper volume?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
Steve973
Light Lager
Light Lager

anybody have good sanke keg dimensions for proper volume?

Post by Steve973 »

I was trying to add vessels to my session, but I don't really have the internal measurements of a sanke keg. What do you all use? Using the height of the outside of the entire keg yields a calculation of about 22.8 gallons. What do you use as a height to give 15.5 gallons?

Steve
Steve973
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Steve973 »

Ok, I'll reply to myself since the calculation is pretty easy, and I'm actually a little embarrassed for not realizing it earlier. Obviously, getting the volume of a keg is basically figuring out the volume of a cylinder, which is given by

pi * radius squared * height

Since a sanke keg is 15.5 gallons, and one gallon is darn close to 231 cubic inches, 15.5 gallons is 3580.5 cubic inches

3.14 * 8.5 squared * height = 3580.5, so let's solve for height:

3580.5 / (pi * 8.5 squared) = height

15.77 = height

So if you're trying to enter measurements for a sanke keg for any of your "vessels", use 17 inches length, 17 inches width, and 15.77 inches height for a calculated volume of 15.5 gallons. Of course, make sure to specify "circular/elliptical" for the vessel shape, which should be the default.
steinbierz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by steinbierz »

Steve973 wrote:Ok, I'll reply to myself since the calculation is pretty easy, and I'm actually a little embarrassed for not realizing it earlier. Obviously, getting the volume of a keg is basically figuring out the volume of a cylinder, which is given by

pi * radius squared * height

Since a sanke keg is 15.5 gallons, and one gallon is darn close to 231 cubic inches, 15.5 gallons is 3580.5 cubic inches

3.14 * 8.5 squared * height = 3580.5, so let's solve for height:

3580.5 / (pi * 8.5 squared) = height

15.77 = height

So if you're trying to enter measurements for a sanke keg for any of your "vessels", use 17 inches length, 17 inches width, and 15.77 inches height for a calculated volume of 15.5 gallons. Of course, make sure to specify "circular/elliptical" for the vessel shape, which should be the default.
I measured my Sanke mash tun and got the following:

15.5 L x 15.5 W x 19H
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

how much does it weight :)
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
steinbierz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by steinbierz »

jawbox wrote:how much does it weight :)
Psst, don't draw attention to the fact that I care about the dimensions of anything other than my wife! :lol:
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

oh, thats too funny. I just reread what I posted. I actually did want to know what it weighed because I'm too lazy to weigh mine.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Database for equipment...

Post by lathe »

Hello Everyone,

A number of you have asked for a database of equipment. Since we are unsure of what equipment specs you would like added to BTP we will call upon you. We have started a topic specifically for equipment. Please post detailed equipment specs to the following post:

Here is a link to the equipment topic.
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff