Sankey D and Euro S couplers

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

axis714
Light Lager
Light Lager

Sankey D and Euro S couplers

Post by axis714 »

Quick question about a commercial keg.
I have 6 sankey D taps and Im in the process of tapping a Newcastle Brown 1/2 barrel keg I recently acquired.
Of the 6 standard Sankeys I own, 1 in particular has an extended long probe that protrudes well below the bottom of the tap. The others all seem to be fairly level w/ the bottom of the tap when engaged.
My question is this-
Do I actually have in my posession a European "S" Tap which is whats called for w/ the Newcastle keg?
Or do I simply have a type D with a longer probe, and in either case will I be able to tap my keg with this or what exactly is the difference between the 2 other than probe length. TIA,
Axis714
axis714
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by axis714 »

well- to answer my own question. After almost 2 hrs of messin with my setup, Ive decided a sankey D US standard will indeed tap a newcastle Euro Keg. So I guess, out of personal experience A "S" Euro tap is basically a Sankey D "US" with a longer probe hence I have the perfect tap.
Im haveing a foaming issue at the moment but Im pretty sure thats a beerline issue or pressure prob.
Im no beer genius , by any means, but then whyfore? the different taps when we can just make 1 with a longer probe to tap both?
Good question I think.
AXIS
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I have a link for you

Post by Freon12 »

Ax,

I ran out of time to post the other day so I'll do it now.

There are pictures of the taps at morebeer.com and the only strange one is the euro "slider" which I use for Paul, and Hacker. The keg has a flat round connection that has a shoulder all the way around with a ball in the middle. The other taps are Hoff-stevens and the sankey types you have. As for the longer probe, is it just the center part like in the picture or is it extending longer than 1/2"?

Anyway, if it goes on and beer comes out only when you want, it must be the right one! :mrgreen:

As for foam, try reducing the pressure on the regulator to very low. Also, there is a beer line length calculation for a no foam deal. Of coarse all kegs will foam for the first few.

Cheers!

Steve
axis714
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by axis714 »

Thanks for the reply Steve. Its actually a regular old D tap like for US kegs, the center part of the bottom is what Im calling the probe the actual beer tube seems to stick down maybe a 1/2 in Id say a 1/4. Taps the keg perfectly...I was worried Id have to buy a Euro Tap type S but apparently Im alright.