Question re water volumes

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Question re water volumes

Post by billvelek »

If I lock my 'Final Volume' at 5 gallons and allow for a 10% per hour evaporation loss, BTP determines that my Kettle Volume should be 6.13 gallons with a total evaporation loss of .92 gallons for a 90 minute boil. Where is the missing .21 gallons? I assume that this might be wort trapped in the hops and/or break material, but I've changed the amount of hops rather dramatically and the missing amount stays at .21 gallons. Also, after reading the User Guide about volume adjustments -- both 'fixed volume' and 'percent adjustsments' -- I examined the 'Display: Volume Adjustments', and there is no data there. I hope that Jeff and company can improve the User's Guide soon to explain such things.

Thanks.

Bill Velek
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I got hung up on this one as well.
It turns out that 0.21 is 4% of 5.21. This 4% accounts for contraction that occurs when wort cools from boiling to pitching temperatures.
In other words, if you measure your initial volume as 6.13 gal. then stop your boil at 5.21 gallons, you'll end up with 5 gallons when cooled down. 10% is the loss from 6.13 to 5 gal.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

rob is correct its shrinkage of the volume due to temp
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

slothrob wrote:I got hung up on this one as well.
It turns out that 0.21 is 4% of 5.21. This 4% accounts for contraction that occurs when wort cools from boiling to pitching temperatures.
In other words, if you measure your initial volume as 6.13 gal. then stop your boil at 5.21 gallons, you'll end up with 5 gallons when cooled down. 10% is the loss from 6.13 to 5 gal.
Thanks, Slothrob (and Jawbox).

Cheers.

Bill Velek