Can't save or open files

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

bzwrxbz wrote:Snip ... I do not necessarily want to have the file name be the same as the title ... snip
I agree entirely. In fact, that's how I discovered the problem -- by trying to have a different file name from beer name.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
JPinAZ
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by JPinAZ »

I think I know why it's not automatically adding the file extension. It's because BTP recognizes both .BTP & .XML as BTP files. When you first do "save as", it picks up the beer name you've entered in the recipe and adds the .BTP extension in the file name box (I guess as a default "suggestion"). If you delete the file name & give it something different without adding the extension, BTP doesn't know if you want .BTP or .XML so it leaves the extension off.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

bzwrxbz wrote:You are correct about the "Save" being greyed out, vs not greyed out. When a change is made, it becomes enables again. It is nice to have the logic to tell me whether changes have been made, but at the same time i am paranoid and just want to save... I think most programs have "Save" always enables regardless of whether changes were made to the document or not.
I think you'll find this is pretty standard practice. There is no reason to Save when the menu is greyed out because you'd be saving an identical unchanged copy of the file over itself.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jc

Post by jc »

Yeah, the behavior I see is that anytime you do a Save or Save As the filename in the filename bar has *.btp appended to it, and if you overwrite that without adding your own *.btp then it is saved with no extension.

Then, when you Open, there is no way to see (and apprently not to open) files without the *.btp extension. Usually, I hate programs that force me to use their extension, but BTP is sort of specialized so it's probably best. What should happen, I think, is that if you don't add your own *.xml or *.btp it will just add the *.btp for you.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

JPinAZ wrote:snip ... If you delete the file name & give it something different without adding the extension, BTP doesn't know if you want .BTP or .XML so it leaves the extension off.
What it should do is default to .btp, but allow the user to select .xml when wanted.

Cheers.

Bill Velek