cheapest brew pot

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

newbrewdude

cheapest brew pot

Post by newbrewdude »

Does anyone know where to find the cheapest 7 gallon (or so) kettle? I'm in the Toronto, Canada area. Websites from the US tend to charge way too much for shipping.

Even after reading all of the info posted on how aluminum is OK, I think I'd still prefer stainless steel, just because it's more durable.

I think the turkey fryer's would be the best bet, but I already have a propane burner, so I don't want a kit that includes one.

Anyone know of a good home brew store? My local one caters mostly to in house brewers, although I can get ingredients there. I would travel a ways as I do prefer to support somebody local, rather than trying to order it in.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Local classifieds

Post by jayhawk »

Keep an eye out in the local classifieds for used pots and used 60L kegs. The problem with this approach is you may have to wait awhile for a seller. You could also acquire a keg from a pub by paying the deposit on it and then simply converting to a kettle.
flavaham
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by flavaham »

I went to a restaurant supply store. I paid about $80 (US) for a 10 gallon stainless kettle. I love it! Call around, tell them you are with a new privately owned restaurtant (some won't sell to the public) and that you need a large stainless stock pot. They tend to be a bit pricey, but they last a long time and they are soooo much better than aluminum.
I haven't used a keg before. I hear it's a good way to go and that could be another option but converting it could come close to the price of a kettle. not sure
-g
"Beer, the cause of and solution to all the world's problems..."
-Homer Simpson
brewfeller
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by brewfeller »

You could always find a used 15.5 gallon Keg and cut the top out of it.
Of course you would have to cook outside on a Gas Burner.
pcharles
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by pcharles »

brewfeller wrote:You could always find a used 15.5 gallon Keg and cut the top out of it.
Of course you would have to cook outside on a Gas Burner.
I got mine for $40 from www.kitchencollection.com
steinbierz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by steinbierz »

Kind of an old thread but I thought I would throw in that if you expect to brew for many years (I started in '92 and knew almost immediately that this was a lifetime hobby) than I would make my brew pot one of my more important investments. Cheap pots are just that...cheap! I have a 15 gallon Vollrath that I bought in '94 from the now-defunct East coast Brewing Supply and unless I drive my car over it, it will outlast me. There are other qualithy brands out there and as others have suggested, 15 gallon kegs are also a great option.