BeerTools Pro vs Beersmith

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bzwrxbz »

OK, I think you can lock the final volume (drop down select to "Lock", via the checkbox), and then change your kettle volume to whatever your kettle volume is (i.e. 9L)... this should bring your IBUs in line with Beersmith. (approximately 25 or so).

cheers!
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by djavet »

Thx. This the correct way to do to find the final IBU?

Regards, Dom
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bzwrxbz »

Yes, the gravity of the boil, the volume of the boil, and the final volume of the batch (which can be different if you dilute with water at the end, and/or have evaporation losses) play a significant role in the amount of bitterness you end up with.

At the end of the day, the IBU numbers seem to match almost exactly between BTP and Beersmith for the Tinseth IBU calculation. You just need to make sure the above values are correct, as well as your hop selection numbers.
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by djavet »

A lot of thx, the mistery are solve and I've something new learned.
Thx to all of you.

Regards, Dom
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by djavet »

Thx for your help. After a few tests, I've conclude that Beersmith are not suitable with my kind of equipement. I will simply forget the boil volume to calculate the IBU/EBC with Beertools (much better tool). I will set the boil volume on my kettle volume. Too much confusion...

If I take a recipe with per exemple a IBU of 25 for 19 litres. I will calculate the weight of hop on paper and I arrive at the right weight, per exemple 30g of Fuggles.

If I boil 30gr of Fuggles in 9 l. , I've the target IBU in my recipe but concentrate to match IBU 46 for 9 l., and then If I add 10 liters I've at finish a IBU of 25 for 19l. (wich what I want)
Is that correct the way I understand?

Regards, Dominique

PS: A lot of thx for your patience.. I learn a new hobby, but whaoww what a hobby!
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Kettle Volume vs Pre Boil Wort Volume

Post by bzwrxbz »

This brings up a good point, and has led to a little confusion for me as well (I am easily confused). I had originally thought that "Kettle Volume" was the amount of liquid the Kettle could hold, but it really means amount of liquid to boil in the kettle.

Maybe a better label would be "pre-boil wort volume", or something like this.

Anyhow, have fun.. cheers!
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

bzwrxbz

if you go into equipment and set up your mash tun, boil kettle etc you'll see a field refered to as capacity. This is the amount of liquid the kettle will hold. I think Kettle volume makes sense the way it is.

You can also back into the math to prove it out.

Kettle Volume - Evaporation Loss = X
X - 4% (shrinkage due to temperature) = Final Volume

Example
Kettle Vol 7.48gal (or pre-boil wort volume)
Evap loss of 11%/hr. 90 min boil would give 1.23gal lossed to evaporation

7.48-1.23=6.25gal
6.25-4%=6gal Final Volume
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)