Separation step 1.07

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
slothrob

Separation step 1.07

Post by slothrob »

I'm having trouble getting the separation step to take volume in. I type 2 gallons into the sparge, hit ok, and there is no volume listed in the schedule window for that step. When I reopen the edit window, there is nothing in the volume field.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Separation step 1.07

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:I'm having trouble getting the separation step to take volume in. I type 2 gallons into the sparge, hit ok, and there is no volume listed in the schedule window for that step. When I reopen the edit window, there is nothing in the volume field.
How much grain is in the recipe?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:I'm having trouble getting the separation step to take volume in. I type 2 gallons into the sparge, hit ok, and there is no volume listed in the schedule window for that step. When I reopen the edit window, there is nothing in the volume field.
I posted another update that addresses setting up sparge information for sessions without a grain bill. Please let me know if this helps with the trouble you are having. Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Beer Snob
Light Lager
Light Lager

Batch Example

Post by Beer Snob »

Could someone post an example of what they did to do a batch?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Batch Example

Post by jeff »

Beer Snob wrote:Could someone post an example of what they did to do a batch?
I played around with a test session, and put together a three part batch sparge. It includes first runnings and two equal size sparges. Here is how i set up the window:

Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Jeff asked:

Code: Select all

How much grain is in the recipe?
About 10 lbs.

I set mine up a bit different than your example, So I'll have to try your method (with a single Separation step) and see if it works for me.

I set up 2 Separation steps, one for first runnings and one for batch sparge. The first runnings one worked fine with no water addition, but when I enter 2 gallons into volume in the batch sparge Separation step, no volume/# number appears. It looks like once I do first runnings it thinks I've removed all my grain.

One think I liked about the old way this section worked is that the main Schedule screen would display the volume I needed to add (though not the temperature it needed to be, unfortunately), the final temp, and the volume I should be expecting from the individual runoffs. This new method seems to hide the individual runnoff volumes. I'd like to at least be able to see the volume expected from the first runnings, so that I'd know I need to adjust the sparge volume on the fly.
Last edited by slothrob on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:I set up 2 Separation steps, one for first runnings and one for batch sparge. The first runnings one worked fine with no water addition, but when I enter 2 gallons into volume in the batch sparge Separation step, no volume/# number appears. It looks like once I do first runnings it thinks I've removed all my grain.
Yes, the new separation step does not work the same way as the collect step. The whole sparge has to be entered using the one step. The old way made it difficult to perform changes to all of the phases of the sparge simultaneously. One change to the separation editor that has come up is to add individual runoff and residual fields for each sparge. Right now it just calculates total runoff.
slothrob wrote:One think I liked about the old way this section worked is that the main Schedule screen would display the volume I needed to add (though not the temperature it needed to be, unfortunately), the final temp, and the volume I should be expecting from the individual runoffs. This new method seems to hide the individual runnoff volumes. I'd like to at least be able to see the volume expected from the first runnings, so that I'd know I need to adjust the sparge volume on the fly.
I see your point. An idea that was suggested, which I agree with, is that all of the phases of the separation step could be itemized in the main schedule list. Then you can get the best of both worlds; edit the separation in its entirety, and see all the segments in the schedule list.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I think we are getting closer to the best solution to setting up batch sparges, as well as fly sparges. I am currently working on the schedule and the next update will be mostly changes made to this part of the app. I am putting a lock checkbox on the water temperature field in the infusion editor, and I am making several other refinements to the separtion editor. If you think of anything else, let me know. Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Beer Snob
Light Lager
Light Lager

Batch Preset

Post by Beer Snob »

Hey Jeff, would it be possible to make a presets that works for batch?
JoshMarquart
Light Lager
Light Lager

Suggestion

Post by JoshMarquart »

I do batch sparges and thought the following would be helpful for us batchers.

The first runnings should be able to be calculated. Simply the amount of water added minus the grain absorption, minus any dead space in the tun. Could the system compute this for us?

Then, its easy for me to figure out how much water to add for the 2nd batch sparge.
iMac - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
OS X 10.5.2