What would you pick?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

What would you pick?

Post by wottaguy »

Hi All!

I'm sitting around being bored and thought of this question to ask of anyone who would wish to respond. Here it is::

If you were to open a small micro brewery or a small brew pub, and you only had resources for only 4 styles of beer, what beers would they be and why?

Thanks everyone!
Ron
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

My picks

Post by jeff »

I would have to choose mine not based strictly on personal preference but on how many people pick beer: color. A light, blond, red/amber and maybe a porter or stout. Fortunately there are enough styles within those hues to make things interesting. The light would be a traditional pilsner. The blond could be anything from a hefe-weizen to an American pale; maybe even a steam beer. The red, well, Irish red of course. I'm not too into them but it seems that rolls off the tongue of many a brew pub patron. The dark one would have to be very pleasant for a wide audience to drink. It couldn't be too bitter and would have to be the kind of beer that would change people's views of "dark" beer.

Anyway, that's my line-up; I have absolutely no experience with opening brew-pubs so I would probably fall flat on my face. Fun to imagine though!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

step 1: STUDY YOUR MARKET!!!

Within the craft brewery industry, it turns out that there are some regional differences in which craft styles sell in different parts of the country. For example, here in upstate new york, if one of your four beers wasn't an intense IPA, then you might as well pack it in.

You need to talk to any distributers/stores that seriously handle craft beers, and any local craft brewers.

Todd
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by wottaguy »

Thanks Todd

I agree with you as far as market analysis and all...but what 4 styles would you choose? AN IPA is definitely on the "must have" on the menu! I also agree with Jeff with his Red brew and of his selection of a light colored beer. I would imagine that a lager would not make the list due to time constraints and cost. Thanks to both of you for your input to this question!
anyone else?

Ron
axis714
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by axis714 »

Quite the contrary on Lagers. For the most part, they dont need to be "lagered" for years to be good. As a matter of fact mine are nearly 2 weeks longer than my ales-give or take a week.
My selections for Tap would be:

1) Czech/ Ger Pils- lets face it,most americans are at least familiar with a pilsner, and even the most hardcore BMC fans have at least tried a Heineken.

2) Ordinary Bitter/ESB - Even without the cask, what self respecting pub wouldnt have an English session brew?

3) IPA- Hophedz need beer too.

4) A Stout faucet on Nitrogen- because the bubbles make everyone happy.