Oberon Belle's

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Oberon Belle's

Post by Freon12 »

I am attempting to clone Belle's brewery Oberon. I recall it being named Solaris or somthing. I Need input on how a pale beer can get so malty. And possible grains used.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

How to increase "maltiness" in AG beers...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I unfortunately have not had the beer you describe, but I can tell you how to increase maltiness in any beer.

Using mash temperatures from 142~149 degrees produce less fermentability and more dextrins... ie... "maltier beer". Mash temperatures above this range produce the opposite. The useage of specialty malts with higher dextrine contents (where dextrine malt, a type of light crystal, gets it's name from) like the other crystals, Munichs... etc can also increase maltiness. In light beers in which you desire maltiness without much increase in color the best strategy is to use the lower mash temperature and if necessary, suppliment with 10 Deg. crystal or light dextrine malt (Carapils is the same).
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Isn't it the other way around?

Post by Push Eject »

Now, Mesa. You know I love ya and you ARE the pro here, but I thought "a beer made from a 155 - 158F mash will have a fuller mouthfeel with slightly more sweetness and less alcohol, than an identical beer mashed... between 140 and 145F."*
I thought the sugar producing enzymes were happier at the lower temp and the dextrins happier at the higher temp.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Cheers,
Ollie
* Brewing Quality Beers - Byron Burch (p. 86)
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

American wheat

Post by Freon12 »

I did some snooping and Oberon is made in Detroit by Belle's. It is a american wheat with O.G. of 1055. Made with Belgium wheat and Saaz.
My question is how would a wheat be malty by lowering the mash temp? Maybe 50% wheat 50% 10L Crystal.
P.S. Mesa thanks for the PH info. Even bottled water in my area has a PH above 7. My beer is now a 5.3ph, a little smooth fuzz ball with no edges. What a difference!
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Dyslexia Sets in on Eric....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Yup... I typed it backwards, reverse my post on the maltiness topic. Thats what I get for typing replies when I'm too tired. (NO I WASN"T DRINKING !) Knowing I'm dyslexic, you would think I would always second guess what I was writing, but sometimes (particularly when tired) my brain doesn't even recognize my screwup !!! Thanks for the correction. The comments related to specialties are still correct though.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bell's Wheat...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Know I think I know what beer you are talking about.... Kalamazoo Brewing Company's product made by Larry BELL. When you spelled it "BELLE'S" I thought you were eluding to the UK brewery whose products I have seen but not had. If so, it does not use wheat malt as 100% of the base for fermentability. There is also a base malt of some sort in it(most likely pale or other 2 row malt), what it is, I don't know. This, along with the crystal is where the maltiness originates and is effected by the mash temperature (which I misposted backwards last night ((see retraction)) which I intended to read HIGHER TEMPERATURES PRODUCE MORE DEXTRINOUS WORTS. This is due to enzymatic reduction that reduces fermentabilty to increase mouthfeel and malt impression. Wheat malt can increase mouthfeel when used in significant proportions, but not in the same way as malted barley and actually will lighten the malt impression in most beers.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Confused

Post by Freon12 »

I confused bell's with Brooke Belle the brewer at the Oaken Barrel brewery. I had Oberon on draught and did not have a bottle for information. Anyway, I draw from the posts that mashing this mostly wheat beer at higher temps. will move me in the right direction even with mass amounts of wheat >50% of grist. Any guess on the yeast(I guessed 3333 german wheat).