miscalculated boil off

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

miscalculated boil off

Post by stouts »

hi all , new here , i maid a british style ale and it was my first time using a keg and propane burner.i was told for a 5 gallon batch i could use 7 gallons cause 2 would boil off.well i wound up left w/ 6 gallons or so and the gravity was supposed to be 1.056 but wound up 1.044 how bad is the final product gonna be affected? i would like the alcahol but im more concerned w/ the taste , think it'll taste watery? thx Stouts
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Water amounts

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hi stouts, I use a kettle / propane burner also, and made a pilsner yesterday. This is my method and it works, but it is not scientific by any means, my total water is 7 gallons, 3/4 gallon will stay behind soaked up by the grain, and one gallon will get boiled off, I consistantly get 5 - 5 1/4 gallons in the fermenter. As for your batch, I don't think that you will be able to notice any watered down qualities, just that the alcohol will be approx 1% lower. Use the beer calculator on this site to give you the predicteds OK ? good luck.