Billy- little advise please

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Billy- little advise please

Post by Freon12 »

Guys(gals too),

I have never had this happen before, but here it is: I think I overshot my strike tempreture and hit 158f. This must have deactivated the mash and now that I have lowered the mash temp to 152f. it just will not convert!
It has been 4 hrs now and Iodine still says no. :shock:

Sooo, I added some more grain just in case. I now have some conversion but still not complete at 6.5hrs now at 150f.

I am using 2 row pale malt with some Munich and 120l. Any ideas?

Steve "The stuck starch enzyme killing brewer"
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Freon: personally I stopped using the iodine test 1 or 2 years ago. I could never get the test to give me a conclusive result. If any bit of grain husk comes in contact with the iodine it'll throw your result out the window. A mash temp of 158F would yield a more dextrinous brew; however, it should still convert. My guess is your mash is fine...sparge as normal and boil that puppy.

v/r
Bill
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I found it.

Post by Freon12 »

Well well well, I have outsmarted myself to the point that it is back to the basics. You my lucky fellow have your system all tuned in with the same water you have been using for years, with the same methods and after you get good result aftergood result, you start to do the auotmatic pilot thing.

*****me too until*** I moved to a place where they promised good water but delivered stuff you have to boil to drink. During the water battle, I did not not take care to check my thermometers out.

My digital water controller turned out to be -20f off according to a new digital thermometer I have. That means I was at 148 not 168f. When I lowered the temp to 150f I was actually at 130f. :shock:
No wonder that I couldn't covert---Duhhh
After repacking the sensor well with some new thermal conductive paste. Wala(That's some kinda French for BooYaaa).

I haven't sewered a beer in years, until today. :cry:

Jeez what a day,

Thanks for the support. I almost sent you a plane ticket.

Steve( I'll be in the basement mopping up)
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Doh! The dreaded thermometer out of calibration trick. Why didn't I think of that? At least you got it figured out...good thing you didn't make beer out of it. That's one hell of a protein rest then! You brew would've had zero head :D I know what you mean about the water. I move around every few years and I always have to start from scratch. I guess one of these days soon I'll stay put, but until then...come to think of it, maybe I should calibrate my thermometers too.