Acid malt

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Acid malt

Post by andytv »

I've been knocking around the idea of making a guiness draught clone and have been collecting/reviewing recipes. A few recipes require the use of "acid malt", claiming that the this provides the "sour" character of the stout. Is this legit?? Has anyone had success cloning this brew?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Acidulated Malt...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Acidulated malt (Sauermalz) is a German product that was produced as a way to lower the pH of the mash without disobeying the former Reinheitsgebot trade law. I suppose it could be used to produce a sour character for a Guiness clone, but the bacteria used to sour the malt is different from that that gives Guiness it's sourness. The sourness in Guiness is from acetic acid (ie... vinegarlike) where the sourness in Sauermalz is more of the lactic type. Guiness actually sours a percentage of beer and adds it into the product. The most accurate approximation I 've tasted made by a homebrewer used a small amount of malt vinegar (makes sense!). How much she used I can't remember, but someone on the forum might know. If not, I'll see if I can dig it up for you.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I made one...

Post by dartedplus »

I made a clone of guinness, using the recipe in the book Clonebrews. I did use the acid malt. At the moment I can't find the exact list of ingredients that I used, as I would add just a touch more roasted malt. Aside from that, my friend from Ireland said it was "spot on". I felt that if I could have added nitrogen, it would have been perfect. If you want the recipe, send me an email
edthedart@netscape.net hopefully I will be able to find my notes. I havent been too on the ball with the notes for a while, I just brew and go from there. Have a good one, Ed
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I found the recipe..

Post by dartedplus »

I found the recipe, I thought I had posted it. Go to sweet stouts and on the 3rd page I think, it is under Guinness Clone, posted april 17, 2001. The only thing I would change, as I said in the other post, would be to add just a little more roasted barley, So use 1 lb instead of 3/4. I even took a bottle to my local bar and had them pour my a draught and I did a side-by-side comparison.......really close. So give it a shot.
Ed
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Danke!

Post by andytv »

Thanks for the info "Darted". The recipe that I picked up from Gambrinus Mug was similar. Since I brew all-grain, I'm combining yours and theirs. If it is a winner, I'll post the recipe. Again.. thanks for your time.