Darkest extract color?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Darkest extract color?

Post by djavet »

Hello

I've brew a Belgium Triple with a extract recipe, I've expected a intense gold yellow regarding my settings in Beersmith, but I've a amber color... :cry:
I boil the wort a 88
akueck
Light Lager
Light Lager

extracts seem darker

Post by akueck »

I've been extract brewing for awhile and I always--always--end up with beer that is darker than "expected". I think the extracts just have more color in them than if you did all-grain.

No worries, it's not about the color anyway. How does it taste?
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by djavet »

Excellent!
I'm surprised... sweet with a touch of grain.
Darkest as expepected, but I don't care, it for my own pleasure (and for friends).

But it's good to know that extract are darkest than all-grains.

Regards, Dominique
creoguy

Post by creoguy »

Try doing a late addition of the extract. By adding the bulk of the extract for the last 10min of the boil or at flameout and then let pasteurize for 10min you will keep the caramelization down. I usually add a 1lb of dry extract at the beginning of the boil and then add the remaining extract at the end. Also try to use the lightest extract you can and get your color from steeping specialty grains. This will also give you better hop utiliation and let you use less bittering hops.

Your color will still be darker then all grain but not quite as much.
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by djavet »

Thx for the advise. I've noted this late-addition technique. I brew this sunday a Taddy Porter clone base on extract and specialty grains.
I will add the half liquid dark malt at begining and at end the rest after the hop.

Dom