Mash hopper bottled

Reactions to and impressions of commercial and home made beers and beverages. Travelling and experiencing beers from around the world.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mash hopper bottled

Post by jayhawk »

I put the mash hopped away in bottles today. The beer finished out a little high, 1016. I would have left it a little longer, but I needed to make room for the next batches. Next time I will drop the mash temp a couple degrees too. Anyway, the hop flavour is coming through now. I find that is quite subtle. The beer has one of the most pleasent aftertastes I have ever experienced. The hop flavour really lingers on the tongue long after the beer is down the hatch. The aroma factor is nill, however. I am a little disappointed in that respect, as I was hoping that the aroma of the Cascades would really hit me. Oh well. This technique definetly imparts a unique hop character to the beer. I think it would probably work best with a light beer ie Pilsner. Unfortuneatly, I can not lager, so I will mash hop a very pale ale of some sort. That is it for now. If anything earth shattering happens during conditioning, I shall post.
Chris