Hot Weather Green Apple Blues (**sniff**)

Reactions to and impressions of commercial and home made beers and beverages. Travelling and experiencing beers from around the world.

Moderator: slothrob

stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

Hot Weather Green Apple Blues (**sniff**)

Post by stumpwater »

...it was a dark and stormy night.
Here is the tale of an unfortunate brewer who despite some good advice and an excellent online resource forum, failed to heed the warnings about green apple syndrome. Please be advised that this could be you...
I had a beauty batch of Azorean Brewer's Helle/Alt beer on the go. The recipe was in the recipe index here on beertools so I tried it as the alt beer. I had been taking samples right up until last night. It was amazing despite the fact that it was only my second all grain batch. I wanted to try my hand at kegging so I delayed bottling it. After all, something so good deserved special treatment. I went to my local brew your own and purchased a draught system after work. I skipped (yes, I skipped) out of the store and drove home as fast as I could. New keg and CO2 set up and ready, I transfered the beer. The scent of the beer was strong, my first hint that something was amiss. A sample confirmed the worst. Green Apple, yuck.
I am sure that there will be no saving this one despite the fact that it looks so beautiful. I hope that everyone reviews the recent postings on warm temperatures and yeast and takes note that there is danger. Looks like tomorrow just became a new brew day. It is unfortunate that lessons in life are often so painful. Good luck friends and cheers.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I have heard the legend of

Post by Freon12 »

My master has told me of a brewer who reversed a skunked beer to it's normal flavor by storing it chilled and in the dark for 2 weeks. Perhaps a week or two at 35f will shave off some greenapple? If not maybe an addition of lager yeast and a day at 68f.
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

Much to learn (bow)

Post by stumpwater »

Really! I am excited to know this as I have resolved to drink my mistake. (Just call me hardcore baby!!!) That two week period will coincide well with when I need the keg for the new batch. Thanks for the encouragement. If you don't see any posts from me for a while it may be due to some severe gastral-intestinal failures.
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Read my post to Andytv

Post by Brewer2001 »

Maturation is the key. I won't retype it all but my post on June 10th may provide some insight. I have a batch of Irish Red that went much too hot and may be overpitched. I have a higher alcohol problem. You may have underpitched.

Tom F.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Yes, Read His Post!!

Post by andytv »

I had a similar problem with a Witbier, followed by a more severe case in an APA. I have since consumed the Witbier with somewhat of a grimace (hey...its still better than buying beer). I took Brewer2001's advice regarding the APA, and put it in cold storage for a couple weeks. I had to break it out last week because I ran out of beer, but I really wish I would have let it sit for a while. The "green apple" flavor had lessened very noticeably after the two weeks. Sometimes its a little tough brewing to completely support my beer consumption needs. I haven't bought any beer for ages (except crap beer for "non-beer snob" company)but sometimes I'm forced to tap the barrels a little early.

Andy
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

Okay, I think I leearned something very valuable here

Post by stumpwater »

Ok, I have reviewed the old posts and I am convinced that I can save this beer. Other than the green apple flavour, it really is a nice brew. I still can't stand drinking it, but I came up with a plan. I am now mixing it with a batch of Porter 7 I brewed up. The Porter 7 is turning out incredible on its own, but I found that by combining the two, the flavour of the green apple is so subdued that it is actually kind of pleasant. I now have Azorean brewer Alt and Porter 7 mixed in a keg and I am considering adding Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast to the combo and letting it lager for a couple months. I think I may end up with a really pleasant dark lager. Any suggestions on this would be much appreciated. (Mesa where are you?) I will never again consider dumping a batch and thanks to all you hardcore brewer's who have taught me that we drink our mistakes, I may have come up with the perfect solution for the alcohol I have created. From my mistake, knowledge has come. Thanks folks!