Hop Rhizomes

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

property pins

Post by bfabre »

[quoteYes that is called adverse possession, but it does not apply to just unoccupied land. Here in NC if you build something on someone's land, you can claim that part of the property in 20 years or 7 years if they have not paid their property taxes.[/quote]

I live on an 80 acre spread here in WA and if someone attempts to build or incorporate some of your land to theirs... We shoot them and feed them to the hogs. (we live with a little of the redneck ethics) . Then if they do not pay their taxes within the next year. Which might happen because they are dead. You can buy their land at the next tax sale. Neener Neener Neener

If your neighbor really did bend over the pins, he is a true asshole. You can tell him for me.... Ha Ha
"B"
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Back to Growing Hops

Post by Legman »

Yeah well, he was an !@#, I won and hopefully it's over with. Now I can go back to dreaming of my hop garden. I've got all the rhizomes ordered and planting area all ready to go. Now the wait.

Speaking of redneck ethics......maybe I can put a row of toilet planters over on the property line. That would be right purdy! :lol:
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

You are true-blue original. Do you think the Beer Tools.com crew would be willing to set up a venue someplace in the middle, so we could all get together and share some of the flavors we produced? Also to put a face with names. I know I would like that.
"B"
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: BeerTools Crew Venue

Post by Legman »

That would be cool to have a big beer meeting somewhere. But I think that everyone's so spread out over the country, it may be too big of a thing to plan.
But who knows.
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

group meeting

Post by bfabre »

all we can do is ask and see what everyone thinks.
"B"
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

So where are you guys buying your rhizomes from? I was looking at midwest last week and they were fully stocked. Now it seems like they're out of most of the good stuff.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

here's where I have bought mine in the past.

https://commerce.peak.org/vh/f/freshops ... ilder.html
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

I ordered mine through my LHBS. They just take orders for locals and order what they need and that's it. They don't do online sales with the rhizomes.

Freshop.com usually has a good selection. They're not taking orders yet, but keep watching their website.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Here is a list of sources of rhizomes

Post by billvelek »

Suthrncomfrt1884 wrote:So where are you guys buying your rhizomes from? I was looking at midwest last week and they were fully stocked. Now it seems like they're out of most of the good stuff.
I'm surprised that any source in the northern hermisphere has any right now; it is generally too early to harvest the rhizomes in most places. I'm pass that info along to my Grow-Hops group because there have been a few people asking how quickly they could obtain rhizomes.

EDIT: I just went to Midwest -- http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products ... bCat=11179 -- (if this is the same place that you mean), and they are NOT "fully stocked"; rather, they are taking "pre-orders", and they also say: "Rhizomes will ship in as soon as they arrive to us from our supplier in early-April".

Meanwhile, for you and anyone else who is interested, here is a link to our list of commercial sources: http://tinyurl.com/2bhn6q

We now have 2,580 members.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Sorry, I forget to mention it was pre-orders. Even so, they look to be selling out of the pre-orders fairly quickly. I will definately take a look at that link to find more sites selling them. I want to get them planted as soon as weather permits up here in Illinois.
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

hop yield

So, for those of you who have grown hops before....how many hops can I count on harvesting from each rhizome? From what I understand after reading a little bit, I'll only get about 6' of heigth the first year. But on average, how many pounds do you guys get?
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

they will grow much higher than six ft the first year. Limit to approx 3 bines from each rhizome. Your yield will be low first year or so, third year mine really took off.

I'm splitting my rhizomes this year and giving some to my buddy.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Size of harvest depends on variables

Post by billvelek »

This will be short because I don't have much time right now.

The size of your harvest will vary depending upon the variety of hop, the suitability of that particular variety to your own location and growing conditions, and all of the other things that typically affect the productivity of any crop -- weather, irrigation, fertization, spacing, etc.

My first year Fuggles, grown in Arkansas, grew to about 14 or 15 feet, and averaged 7 dried ounces per plant, i.e., rhizome. They were planted one rhizome per mound, 3' between each mound. The second year they produced about 12 dried ounces per plant, but it would have been more if I had had the time to take better care of them, watering, etc. In fact, I never had enough time to harvest the entire crop. Magnum and Centennial did much worse, and don't seem very well suited to Arkansas. Statistically -- and this is probably based more on data from commercial farming -- a mature hop plant (3 years or older) is supposed to typically yield about 2 pounds of dried cones per plant. Denny Conn has mentioned that he has harvested 2.5 pounds from his cascade plant which grows horizontally along a fence; I don't know where he lives, etc.

I encourage you to join our group because you'll no doubt get better answers that I have the time to provide. I generally limit my hops discussion to the group because there are a lot more people who benefit from it over there.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I grow six bines from each rhizome

Post by billvelek »

jawbox wrote:they will grow much higher than six ft the first year. Limit to approx 3 bines from each rhizome. Your yield will be low first year or so, third year mine really took off.

I'm splitting my rhizomes this year and giving some to my buddy.
I'm not saying that you are wrong, but most literature I've read suggests -- and most discussions seem to concur -- running two string from each mound, with one rhizome per mound, and 3 bines per string, so I grow a total of 6 bines from each rhizome.

EDIT: Let me also quickly add that some people plant two rhizomes per mound, so if you did that, then it amounts to the same thing -- six bines per mound. However, even aside from the cost of the rhizomes, I don't think it's a good idea to plant two rhizomes per mound; they almost always survives, so there is no _need_ to put two in the same mound, and then you end up with two different plants (crowns) that are going to tend to crowd each other.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Bill I meant for the first year as you want the rhizome to make a good root and not expend all it's energy growing bines and cones.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)