1st time brewer!

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

dmarquardt8

1st time brewer!

Post by dmarquardt8 »

OK, I am a 1st time brewer that is itching to try it. I have been reading some books and as a new member here, I have been reading other peoples advice. Is there any advice that you have to share with me that I should watch out for? I would be interested in what you have to say.

-Dan[/size]
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Start with a few brew kits instead of designing your own recipe first. This will help you understand the actual brew process before you go diving into it. It also saves you from making a horrible beer. I like the brewers best kits as far as taste goes, but the mouthfeel just isn't there. You could try adding maltodextrin or lactose to it to help that though.

Good luck and welcome to an exciting hobby.
dmarquardt8

Post by dmarquardt8 »

Thanks! Actually I just got back from a brewing supply store and that's exactly what I purchased. I bought the kit and along with the help of the worker, he told me to use the lquid yeast instead. It gives it more of the flavor that the dry yeast doesn't. Thanks for the tip.
slothrob

new

Post by slothrob »

Stick with ales for now, lagers require more knowledge and temperature control.

Try and keep even your ale fermentations on the cool side of the yeast range. Low to mid 60s seems to work well for a lot of yeasts, whereas 70s can give a beer a lot of off flavors.

Let it finish. Don't be in a rush to pull your beer off the yeast. Giving it a couple days or more after it's finished can allow the yeast to clean up some off-flavors. It'll probably take longer to carbonate than you expect, as well. My house is cool this time of year so my bottles rarely carbonate in 2 weeks. Also, most average beers seem to peak in flavor about 8 weeks from pitching the yeast, in my hands.

Be clean.

Boil as much volume as you can get away with for your malt extract kits, the flavor will be better. If you're only boiling about 2-3 gallons for a 5 gallon batch, add 1/4 to 1/2 of the extract in at the beginning of the 60 minute boil. Add the remainder about 15 minutes from the end (before the last hop additions is probably best). This will reduce the damage done to the extract from re-boiling it and help make the final beer smoother and less sweet.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
mmayer

Post by mmayer »

As someone else said, start with a couple of kits, and brew with someone who has brewed before if you can. Make sure everything post boil is CLEAN and SANITIZED. And while your brewing the kits, start thinking about how you want to scale up....because you'll be hooked!!
v8skittles

Post by v8skittles »

I brewed my first batch about a month ago and I can't wait for it to finish Carbonating. Hope yours turns out well.