Dry Hopping - thoughts

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by jimcraig »

updated with pics of my current IPA

ImageImage
BurninBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by BurninBrewer »

From my experiences when using pellets they do dissolve and if you dry hop for at least a weak tend to settle to the bottom making it easy to keep it clear as long as you are careful with your siphon. I added and ounce of NZ cascade whole hops, 1 oz of centennial pellets and 1 oz of american cascade pellets to my winter ale this past weekend, the pellets are already starting to settle a bit as well as some loose leaves from the whole hops that are already saturated. I will be dry hopping for about 3 weeks though and then it will sit in the keg till middle/end of december which is when I made it for, even with this amount of pellets I get very little trub in the bottom of my kegs.
jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by jimcraig »

yeah didnt think about the yeast on the bottom working like a glue trap and catching and holding the pellets. I assume the pellets basically just dissolve?
BurninBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by BurninBrewer »

Yah the pellets dissolve, the 2 oz currently dryhopping for me dissolved after 24 hours and are kinda mixed with the leaf hops at the top and bottom of my carboy. they usually completely settle after about a week, leaf hops take a little longer, but I am dry hopping this batch for 3-4 weeks so basically everything in mine should settle by the time I keg it.