Any last second advice?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

virginbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by virginbrew »

Thanks bfabre! I guess this post gets me one step closer to a circle! :lol:
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

virginbrew wrote:When should I move from my primary to my secondary? From what I have read, I think it is when activity in the airlock subsides. Is that right, or is do I need to take the gravity and base it on that?
There is some debate among homebrewers whether a secondary is needed or not. With the exception of high gravity ales it's generally not required. Those that use them, like me, are using them to allow the beer to clear, so the term "secondary fermentation" is a bit of a misnomer. The only way to know for sure if the beer is ready to rack is to take a gravity reading. When you get two readings the same a couple of days apart it's done. My practice is to leave the beer in the primary for 2-3 weeks before taking the reading. This allows the yeast to clean up after themselves.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
virginbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Update on my first batch

Post by virginbrew »

Moved from primary to secondary today. It smelled GREAT! I can't wait til' I get to bottle. Well I can wait, but I don't want to. I see myself brewing every other weekend, and I haven't even tasted my first batch! The brew bug has bit me. I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks again for all the help!
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Side note

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I use a 6.5 gallon for my primary and a 5 gallon to secondary this way I ensure that there is enough head space for the crousin. I still have to watch out on wheats and stouts. They seem to produce more crousin than the rest.
slothrob

Re: Update on my first batch

Post by slothrob »

virginbrew wrote: I see myself brewing every other weekend, and I haven't even tasted my first batch!
It doesn't hurt to taste a little now and then. I take a taste at least at the end of primary and at bottling, but also any time I take a gravity reading.

I believe that knowing how a beer changes in flavor during the process allows you to make judgements on changes that can improve your beer.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
hansolo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by hansolo »

The circles go by how many posts you have, just as the name above it. There is a rule to follow when everything has been followed and all there is to do is wait. RDWHAHB :mrgreen:
WWW.CAFEPRESS.COM/EHINNOVATIONS
T-shirts and more for homebrewers and people with a sense of humor