Geographically, What region are you from ?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Greenville, SC, U.S.A.

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Looks like I am the first LOL... gee how did that happen :-)
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Pittsburgh Area

Post by andytv »

I live in Apollo, PA (spell it backwards!) about 40mi northwest of Pittsburgh. I live in the country and have a gas well on my place, so we (our small club) can brew alot w/o having to worry about running up utility costs. My spring water, though somewhat acidic, has reliably produced good mash results and may even contribute a unique component to our beers. There are about 1/2 doz brewpubs in or around Pittsburgh and a few full size breweries; Pittsburgh Brewing - Iron City, Augustiner, formerly brewed Sam Adams BL), Penn Brewing (Penn Pilsner, Penn Gold, and a host of other authentic German styles), Latrobe Brewing (Rolling Rock). Elsewhere in PA are several great breweries; Victory Brewing, Stoudts, Straub, Yuengling, etc.

Good place to live & brew!
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Greenwood, IN U.S.A.

Post by Freon12 »

We have a microbrewery around the corner called "The Oaken Barrell", it even has a web site. They have a fine example of Hefe Wiesse.(even though it is a single infusion mash, Shame)
The water here has a high ph average 8ph. It is also near the limestone capital of the world(got minerals?). I helped shovel the lime from the hot liquor tank at the brewery, Wow, it was about 12" thick after 8 months and 33,000gal.
mickeymac
Light Lager
Light Lager

Sherman Oaks, CA

Post by mickeymac »

Sherman Oaks is actually a neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley within City of Los Angeles boundaries. Although northern California and San Diego County seem to have good brew pubs on almost every corner, Los Angeles County is lacking in that department. I haven't been able to figure out exactly why, but I'm guessing that LA is more of a wine city than a beer city. I haven't been homebrewing long, so I'm not sure how active the homebrew scene is in this part of the world. Happy Easter to all.
cyto
Light Lager
Light Lager

Columbia, TN, U.S.A.

Post by cyto »

I am a transplanted Hoosier, hi to Freon12. I know the Oaken Barrel, used to live in Indy. I love to make and drink beer, ride motorcycles and play chess. Not all at the same time of course :)
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

Southern Ontario Canada

Post by stumpwater »

What a great opportunity for me to check out the technical difficulty I have been having with submitting to the Hop Vine Forum.
Great website. Great advice. Wow, I'm glad I found this place!
I am relatively new to brewing and have seen a dramatic improvement to my beer since I found beertools.com. My thanks to all who take the time to comment.
I acquire my new 14 Gallon brew pot in a few days. My newly assembled mash/lauter tun is ready to go, and the propane burner is fueled up. Hopefully, my grains will arrive by the weekend. I am sure that I will be asking for help soon!
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Geographically, What region are you from ?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I came on this Easter morning before getting ready to head out for the day and noticed that the threads are getting sparse. So I figured I would send out a question asking this tight group of beer lovers where are you from. Please put the City, State or country in the summary so that we can see it at quick glance and then add any "comments" you wish. Here in the Greenville area there is the "Blue Ridge Brewery" and if you ever get to Gatlinburg TN, at "traffic" light #10 there is a great hangout called "The Smokey Mountian Brewery". I love riding motorcycles and wood working, and I can wait to get dirty in my raised bed veggie garden. Wishing everyone a great new day.
jdbooth
Light Lager
Light Lager

Spartanburg, SC

Post by jdbooth »

A shout out to all you homebrew fanatics...uh um...Enthusiasts might be a better word. I am a "newby" to the scene at about a year brewing with 5 batches under my belt all but one was great! "Four outa five aint bad". I am making leaps and bounds with every new batch and I can thank a lot of my new found knowledge from my new friends here at BT.c
John
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Northwest Arkansas

Post by l48shark »

I live in Northwest Arkansas, which consists of 4 major towns and several suburbs, but should really be consolidated into one big city. If you visit this area, my advice is to stay in Fayetteville, which is where the University of Arkansas (my wife's alma mater) is located. There you will find Dickson Street, home of Brewski's (75 beers on tap) and the Ozark Brewing Company, a nice brewpub. Down the street on Town Square is West Mountain Brewing Company, a new brewpub that will be brewing their own beers soon. However, the best thing to do if you are coming down here is to contact me and stay at my place. :) My other hobby other than homebrewing is Corvettes, so if you come during show season, we can make a nice cruise too. But my beloved Stingray was involved in an accident (ambushed by an inattentive moron) a week ago Friday :(, so please raise a pint in her honor. (No worries though, I am more upset than injured.)
Cheers,
Ford
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Visiting Soon!

Post by l48shark »

Mike,
Wasn't your town the setting of a rather amusing cable comedy series? Regardless, my wife and I are celebrating our 5th anniversary this June and will be visiting San Diego. We will be hooking up with her brother, who is stationed there, and a friend of mine who just moved out that way. Would you like to come out and party with us? I would appreciate the opportunity to meet another member of the Hop Vine. Let me know!
Cheers,
Ford
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

South Bend, IN

Post by bredmakr »

Moved here a year and a half ago from Knoxville, TN. Azorean Brewer, are you going to go to the Brew Fest in Knoxville this June? I was there last year and I highly recommend it to anyone that can make the journey.
mickeymac
Light Lager
Light Lager

Shows

Post by mickeymac »

Although I never saw it, I've read that "Sherman Oaks" was a cable comedy show. Also, the Gary Shandling Show that ran on Fox in the late 80s was set in S.O. Here's my e-mail for your trip: mmarkmc@pacbell.net. San Diego is about 200 miles away, but we might be able to make it down.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Palmdale, CA

Post by Push Eject »

Southern California -- about 60 miles north of LA, although still in LA county.
The Home Beer Wine & Cheese Shoppe in Woodland Hills is my local HBS.
If you make it to Southern California in May or June be sure to visit the 25 acre Renaissance Pleasure Faire (renfair.com) where my wife and I teach archery every weekend.
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Long Island, NY

Post by KBrau »

Baseball season starts today!!!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Charleston, SC, USA

Post by jeff »

At the end of this week I am moving from Stamford, Connecticut to the Charleston, South Carolina area. Haven