recipe ideas?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Radler
Light Lager
Light Lager

recipe ideas?

Post by Radler »

I've just thrown some stuff together in a brewpot and done the dance, it's in the primary and I'm not yet sure what I'm doing next so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. So far recipe is 6 lbs. light DME,
1 lb.crystal 50
.25 lbs crystal 140
.125 lbs chocolate malt
.25 dextrin malt
4 oz. baker's chocolate
24 oz frozen raspberries (put in after boil and let sit for 25 minutes then put them in carboy)
1 oz Northern brewer (6.5%) 60 mins.
.5 oz NB 30 mins.
.3 oz East kent Goldings (5.5%) 20 mins
Irish Moss
Wyeast Scottish 1728

So now, should I just rack it in a few days to secondary or should I add some more raspberries ( I was thinking just another 12 oz.).
I guess I would just like to know if the raspberries I have are enough or will they end up not being tasted at all? I don't want a fruity beer just a dark beer with hints of chocolate and raspberry. If this recipe looks like I'm somewhat new to this and just threw together what I had around, you're right!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Hmmm...is it a Raspberry Choco-Porter?

I only used fruit once...a cherry wheat. I seem to remember using 1 or 2 cans worth. I could tell it was there, but then again the flavor only had to compete with wheat & barley, not chocolate malt and crystal in your case. I can't imagine the interaction with roasted malts & fruit on the tongue. Anyhoo, I'd expect some small issues with head retention from the oils in the chocolate. But I'd be curious to see how it turns out for you.
barleypopmaker
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by barleypopmaker »

I have had cherry with a recipe very similar to what you have made. It was actually one of the most popular homebrews with my friends. It should turn out fine I would think, And the raspberry tones will go well with the chocolate malt in my opinion. I would add more raspberries to the secondary, 24oz is not a whole lot, at least not enough to be overpowering, I would go with at the very least another 12oz in the secondary, you could probably even do another 24.
-Jason

Beta testing on an older Dell latitude c610 Laptop
Windows XP Professional SP2
Pentium III
256 RAM