Designing a recipe

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

sholbert

Designing a recipe

Post by sholbert »

I have a question. If a recipe calls for approximately "10-15% of the grain bill," how exactly do you figure that when extract is involved. The recipe will include a mini-mash of about 4 pounds of grain, the rest will be liquid extract. I get very different numbers when calculating the % of ingredients used and the % of what I'd actually extract.

I know this probably sounds very confusing because I'm not explaining it well, but if anyone can make some sense out of it and help me out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Try this

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Sholbert

I believe that it is calculated from the total batch size. 10 % of your bill will be the specialty that you are adding. So if your recipe calls for 10 % adjunct, and it uses 4 pounds pale malt, and 5 pounds of extract and 1 pound of adjunct, this one percent will be 10% of the total 10 pounds.

Does this make sense everyone ?

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Read This Article

Post by BillyBock »

Sholbert: It sounds like you could use this resource. It's an article at Ken Schwartz's website titled, "Converting All-Grain Recipes to Extract/Partial-Mash."

http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

This will guide you through the entire process and some of the things you should consider along the way. Give it a read, and let us know if it helped. If not, then post your recipe and we'll help you figure it out.

v/r
Bill
sholbert

Perfect, thanks!

Post by sholbert »

Thank you both for your help. Excellent article Billy, this is a great resource.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

You're Welcome

Post by BillyBock »

No problem...let us know how it works out.