from keg to bottle or growler

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

yakimicki
Light Lager
Light Lager

from keg to bottle or growler

Post by yakimicki »

So here's a question I've been meaning to ask other brewers for awhile now. I use a 5 gallon kegging set up, but occasionally i like to take a bottle or a jug of my kegged brew to a friends house. Currently I just transfer from my keg to the bottle or jug and the beer will flatten soon there after.
Does anyone have suggestions for a better way to move my brew from keg to bottle.
What do you do?
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Counter pressure filler

Post by richanne »

This is what you need -- a counter pressure bottle filler. A valve on top allows CO2 or beer to flow down the same stainless tube, directly to the bottom of the bottle. The valve has three positions, off, beer and CO2. The unit is inserted into the bottle in the off position. The valve is then turned to CO2 to flush the bottle and then to beer for filling. The adjustable pressure relief on the side of the unit allows you control the speed of fill by adjusting the pressure in the bottle.
Richard and Anne Brady
Brady's Homebrew
http://www.bradyshomebrew.com
yakimicki
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by yakimicki »

hrmmm $55 range.... i'm cheap.
anyone built there own counter pressure filler? suggestions?
littlehop
Light Lager
Light Lager

also cheap

Post by littlehop »

I fill snap top bottles out of my corny setup also and have great results. I've seen as much as a week in the bottle and still had carbo. My method is fairly simple, set pressure to about 2-3 psi after carbo, 12" piece of rigid tube inserted into picnic tap to reach bottom of bottle, important part freeze bottle 1/2 hour before filling, fill gently and cap. Low dispencing pressure and cold bottles reduce foaming and release of dissolved co2. Will probably hold carbonation indefinatly I just have not tried to wait that long. Ive never tried counter pressure bottling so maybe i'm missing out.
yakimicki
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by yakimicki »

thanks, i found that reply quite useful. It contains all the things I look for in brewing... results, ease of execution, and $0 cost, i have all the parts I need! Freezing the bottle is a great idea, i hadn't thought of that. I wonder if freezing the bottle is better than having the bottle at the same temp as the beer. I'm not sure if oxidiaztion or loss of co2 is less likely to happen without an abrupt temperature change or by being transferred into a extra cold bottle. Either way is better than dumping it into a room temp bottle.
Thanks again. I'll try this when this batch is ready!