yeast, how old is toooo old

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

yakimicki
Light Lager
Light Lager

yeast, how old is toooo old

Post by yakimicki »

So i got bored today. I decided to make a batch of beer using whatever i had sitting around. Only problem here... the only yeast i have 'sitting around' was a tube of pitchable wyeast and a packet of dried safale. Each of these probably expired around a year ago. I pitched both. What do you guys think will happen? Bubble or no bubble?
yakimicki
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by yakimicki »

here's the answer!

8 hours later and this primary is bubbling away! expiration date! must be a ploy to sell more yeast!
I'd stored both of those packages of yeast in my refridgerator for atleast 1 year on one of them, and i'm thinking about 2 years on the other. I wonder who's winning, safale or wyeast?
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Dry probably lasts longer

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Yak,

I think the dry might intially be winning out but the liquid will catch up ... I have used whitelabs 8 months past expiration with good results, I always make a starter and don't brew until I have krausen in my starter ... good luck,

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
yakimicki
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by yakimicki »

5 days and the gravity dropped from 1.051 to 1.015. A decent speed for fermentation using old old yeast and at 68 degrees.
caosesvida
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by caosesvida »

thats encouraging news, I have a couple of white labs 8 moths old and was wondering if to use them. I did something else stupid , I threw my hops in the freezer and then the next day I was wondering where the heck was my yeast!! yup- I put it in the freezer. well I put it in the fridge, and after it thawed and I opened it, it expanded like normal bubbling out of the tube. I threw it out but now I wish I had tried to start it. Regular yeast must freeze in the wild, and be born again, this maybe would have too.