Will my yeast activate

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Pedalmedic

Will my yeast activate

Post by Pedalmedic »

Ok, this is the 2nd batch of beer that I have ever brewed. I had the Yeast in the fridge and popped the inner package and waited the subscribed time. The package did not swell as much as I thought. Will it activate in the fermenter? It is an ale and I do not want to loose this batch. Can I place more yeast in there? Will the more yeast mess up the taste? Any help welcomed. i am new to this but sure do enjoy the end result.
BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

will my yeast activate

Post by BarleyMan »

If there was swelling of the packet, the yeast should be fine. If you have a brew store nearby with the same type of yeast, or a similar type, it won't hurt the beer to add more. Generally speaking, I like to add as much yeast as possible to start the ferment ASAP.

Starting with less just means your fermentation start will be slower, which slightly increases your risk of alternate infection/inocculation with wild yeast or bacteria.

As Charlie Papazian says, "relax, don't worry, have a homebrew"

Good luck!
BarleyMan McHop

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart
Lagermeister

Post by Lagermeister »

How old was the yeast packet? Yeast has a shelf life. Try to get the freshest possible. There is a date code on the packet. Generally speaking for each month add one more day for the yeast to rise.

I always check the date code, and in addition make a starter which adds the amount of yeast to pitch.

Lagermeister