How do I dealcoholize my beer?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

pondr

How do I dealcoholize my beer?

Post by pondr »

Hi folks@beertools. I used to read this forum religiously and have brewed many a good all-grain from the information I received here. Unfortunately I brewed and consumed a little too much for all the wrong reasons. I have a drinking problem. Best I leave it alone but I used to brew a beautiful porter I called StumpwaterJack's Midnight Porter and would love to wet my wistle with it one more time. Does anyone know how to dealcoholize beer? I am assuming this process is complicated with complicated equipment required. I would be tickled to find out otherwise.
Thanks for any help!
snowman

taking out the alcohol

Post by snowman »

I'm thinking that you could use a vacuum pump in some type of configuration; the problem with this is that if you were to get caught you might be in a bit of a pickle. If I remember correctly the extraction of alcohol from a fermented product is considered to be or close to the same as running a still in the minds of the ATF. You might have better luck trying to brew the beer without producing the alcohol in the first place. I know it sounds a little crazy but I believe it's possible. Good luck and congratulations on having the courage to deal with your drinking issues. My fear would be that you might be tempting the issues a bit much leading back to the original problem. Best of luck just the same!!

Any chance you want to give the recipe for your porter so we can brew it in your honor?
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Reverse osomosis?

Post by jayhawk »

I think I have heard that reverse osmosis can be used as a method to dealcoholize beer. I would expect that you would lose quite a bit of body and flavour though with this method.
canman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Boiling

Post by canman »

you can remove alcohol by boiling post fermentation. You need to force carb though as there will be no yeast to carbonate with.
I can't tell you how long but I can put you in the right direction..
http://hbd.org/discus/messages/1/27359.html?1103715801
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by richanne »

Heat it to 170 degrees and hold for about half an hour. This also will destroy hop aroma and make the beer a bit more bitter. Don't boil, as you'll boil off water, completely changing the flavor.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Restore hop aroma...

Post by jayhawk »

After heating to 170F you could cool it and dry hop to add back some of the lost hop aroma.