Clear beer

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Gmku
Light Lager
Light Lager

Clear beer

Post by Gmku »

I lagered my alt for about 3 weeks at around 40F. When I bottled it last night, it was incredibly clear. And it tastes great!

I was excited about this at the time, but now I'm worrying there might not have been ENOUGH yeast left suspended for carbonation.

Has anyone else run into this, and is it a concern? Should there be at least some yeast still in the beer? The bottles look very clear, maybe just a tiny bit cloudy, and I'm seeing no sediment on the bottom yet.

Help? Reassurance?
Phobos
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Phobos »

When you drank your beer was it carbonated like expected or kind of flat? As long as you have carbonation there is yeast that is viable. You can't see them, but there are millions of them. Only way to get rid of the yeast is to filter your beer like the big brewery's.
Don't worry have a homebrew.
:mrgreen:
Gmku
Light Lager
Light Lager

clear beer

Post by Gmku »

Well, I was drinking just a sample I pulled for the hydrometer, a good half glass or so. It didn't taste flat like it did before fermentation, but this was before I added the priming sugar, so there was no bubbly carbonation. Still, it did foam a bit, and in fact, was prone to making foam as I filled the bottles.
Phobos
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Phobos »

It sounds fine. I thought you had the beer bottled already, sorry about that. :oops: Lot of yeast's come out very clear to the sight, but they will still carbonate the beer normal. Your beer sounds fine, enjoy. :mrgreen:
Gmku
Light Lager
Light Lager

you're right

Post by Gmku »

Tested a bottle one week after bottling. Carbonation is excellent--poured a smallish though firm head that left some nice lace and the fizz was gentle and soft. Doesn't taste too bad either. Crisp, clean, subtle German hop bitterness. Another week or two and carbonation should be just right.