Final Gravity to high

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

rjskibo

Final Gravity to high

Post by rjskibo »

I am brewing a dark brown ale, partial mash. I am using 1098 London ale yeast from Wyeast and both batches have ended up with finished gravities of 1.020(started at 1.048 and 1.052) I would like to be around 1.012 Can anybody help me?
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

A few questions

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hi,

Give us some more information OK?

What temp did you ferment at ?

Did you rack to secondary yet?

How much specialty grains did you use ?

Better yet post your entire recipe so we can deduct a reasonable answer OK?

Regards,

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
rjskibo

Post by rjskibo »

I used
4 lb pale 2 row
1 lb crystal
1 lb chocolate
1 can 3.3 lb John Bull light extract unhopped
1 ready to pitch pack 1098 wyeast
Fuggles and EKG hops
I pitched the yeast at 68 degrees temperture in my basement ranges from mid sixties to mid seventies
This was at the end of 10 days in the primary fermentor I tried to rouse yeast gently at about seven days I have know clue if that works or if you should.
B Stein
Light Lager
Light Lager

Potential High gravity error

Post by B Stein »

In my latest issue of BYO magazine they also sent a beginners guide. I like going through these just to see if there is anything I can do to refine my technique. They said there are two more ways to bring down final gravity.

1. Aerate your wort with an injector kit. I saw a Oxygenation system on Beer, beer and more beer for $45

2. Make a 2 liter starter and pitch the 230 Billion cells required to ferment a 5gal batch with a OG of 1.048. The WYeast and White labs vials and smack packs only give you 30-60 Billion yeast cells.

I suggest these techniques be employed expecially if you are already ensuring your mash to be at the proper temps for the appropriate times.

Also I hear alot of DME can lead to higher FG's.

I also have used 3 drops of beano to help convert more unfermentables into fermentable sugars.
Work is the curse of the drinking class....Oscar Wilde
Sapper
Light Lager
Light Lager

secondary fermenter

Post by Sapper »

I would rack this beer to a secondary fermenter.

Let it set for a week or 4 in the secondary and it should be as fermented as it is going to get.

I wouldn't shake your primary any more. It probably won't make a difference except to make it more difficult to siphon clear beer out of it.