My Triple won't carbonate

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

beerlover
Light Lager
Light Lager

My Triple won't carbonate

Post by beerlover »

I've tried everything I can think of. When I was priming I even added extra yeast, thinking that since it had sat for 5 months that the yeast may have stalled. waited 2-3 weeks. Well, I got nothing.

I then built up a huge starter and then uncapped about three bottles (as a test sample) and funnelled in about a shot of additional yeast (as in about an oz). recaped. waited 2-3 weeks. Still nothing.

Although, I had primed the batch with 3/4 cup of corn sugar, I thought, well, maybe it needs more sugar. I then uncapped the bottles yet again and then added a couple of prime tabs to the above bottles as well as even more yeast. recapped, and waited 2-3 weeks and ..............nothing!

I'm thinking the 10% alcohol may be too much for the yeast to work anymore??? I don't know. I have come to the conclusion that my only option is to pour the bottles into a keg and force carbonate it, unless somebody has got any ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

Wyeast 1214.

There is the slightest little bit of pressure when opening.
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Not long enough.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Beer,

Remember that alcohol is a waste product of yeast and that fermented beer has been depleated of the nutrients required for growth. Now if you are getting some carbonation your yeast are alive. Belgian ales take a long time to mature if they are bottle conditioned....this is normal.

The brewery where I bought my tanks can't keep up with production so they have resorted to force carbonating after a short maturation. The ale is good but not like the 'old stock'.

Time will make this ale good. I would not mess with opening the bottles until it is time to drink them.

Good brewing,

Tom F.