homebrew label question

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

abe0llis

homebrew label question

Post by abe0llis »

i currently make labels for my varieties of beer and am wondering if anyone knows where i can find labels that wont be ruined as soon as the become wet. right now i use the inkjet dry-gummed back paper and once its wet the colors run horribly. how can i make labels that stand-up to moisture like store brand bottles?
cobster831

Photo gloss labels

Post by cobster831 »

Try using photo gloss labels. It's a bit more expensive but should solve your problem. Or purchase a color laser printer, which cost around $500.
danno

Epson DuraBrite Inks are water resistant

Post by danno »

Abe, go get an Epson printer that uses DuraBrite Inks. They are pigment based inks instead of dye based and hold up to water, UV and time better than typical ink jet pinters. The C84 pinter is easily found under $80.

I am affiliated with Epson so I don't know what the competition is offering today bt I think we are the only ones offering pigment based inks for low cost ink jet printers.
jcassady
Light Lager
Light Lager

Spray coating

Post by jcassady »

I don't remember what its called but I went to Wal-Mart and in the craft department they have a spray can of an acrlyic (maybe) sealant that will "waterproof" your labels. I used this stuff a while back on mine and it worked fairly well. I had a six pack of bottles in a cooler of ice for several hours and they held up pretty good until all the ice melted and they were sitting in water. All of the major details of the labels were still good they just lost a little color.
Brew Daddy

Try this...

Post by Brew Daddy »

myownlabels.com I've done business with them before and I was very satisfied with their work and turn around time.
DreamWeaver
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by DreamWeaver »

I use packing tape to stick my non backed paper inkjet labels to the bottles then trim the tape with a razor blade. (I got way too much time on my hands huh?) 8) My feable attempt at labels is mostly a skull & crossbones with the warning/disclaimer "If I gave you this beer, drink it, if not it could be deadly"!) Including ABV% and date brewed & bottled.
Gmku
Light Lager
Light Lager

Scotch Book Tape

Post by Gmku »

Transparent. Permanent. Conformable. Easy Unwind. So says the box.

Easy stuff to work with. I do simple laser jet labels on sheets of standard paper or even better kinds of stationery paper. I just design them in word, print a page, copy, tape over each page with the Scotch book tape, cut out the labels, and brush on a little milk or cream to the back sides. Works.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Drop those labels!

Post by Push Eject »

Give up and start kegging. :)

Kisses,
Charlie
Gmku
Light Lager
Light Lager

Maybe

Post by Gmku »

I can understand the appeal of kegging. But I really enjoy bottling for some reason. Just like the old world feel of it, I guess. Love to see those cases of beer waiting.