Brewing Laws???

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

jcerecke

Brewing Laws???

Post by jcerecke »

Hi, I'm new to all this and was wondering if there are any interesting laws about brewing alchahol I should know about, espescially age restrictions. Thanks.
Josh
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

In the U.S.

Post by fitz »

First of all, you need to be old enough to drink, or it would be illegal for you to own your fruits of your labor. There are specifics on the amount of beverages you can make per a year. A lot of factors go into this(number of people in your house of legal drinking age, etc.) Next, you can only use it for consumption, no selling of any sort without licenses, taxes, etc. Distilling is illegal for consumption I believe, but you can get the equipment for distilling for fuel. Yes I'm sure the Feds will check into this one.
CannonFodder

US ATF page

Post by CannonFodder »

Check out the US Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) page below, click on the production and removal of beer links.

h**p://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/genalcohol.htm#g1

Copy and past the link and change the '*' to 't'
Kevin

Yikes!

Post by Kevin »

thate info in that link is quite alarming as I "may" have been known to brew the odd 25 gallon batch...every week... or not ;)
sudz

Post by sudz »

Those laws on the link may be different for you since you live that far north :lol:
Cheers
Sudz