pedicocci detection

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

hany

pedicocci detection

Post by hany »

hi i am a microbiologist i can not detect pediococci in presence of lactobacilli i use UBA
any ideas thanx ppl
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Quick Mesa Help!

Post by fitz »

Although my knowledge is quite limited on this subject, I believe they are two completely different strains, eventhough they have more similarities in that family of organisms than the others.
If my thoughts are right, the Lactobacilli just sours or taints the beer a little, the Pediococci would completely spoil it.
I'm sure Mesa can give you a better, and more informed answer.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Centrifuge.

Post by Freon12 »

Spin that bad boy up and it will seperate!
Perhaps a dye addition would help.
I also think that they die at different tempretures.

S.
hany

how how

Post by hany »

yes i know but the problem lies in that if they present together in a yeast sample for example i can see them by microscope both but lacto bacillus grows on agar not pedio why ???
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Everyone here

Post by fitz »

Everyonr here would rather not even try to have pediococci anywhere aroung there brew supplies. You probably should speak to you professor about your findings, or questions. Be careful with the growing of that or any bacteria, I'm sure they could be dangerous in large numbers. We try to clean everything with different solutions so bacteria doesn't breed, except when brewing belgian wheat beer, and that is just the Lacto strain.