In 11 years of brewing I have never had this happen

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

In 11 years of brewing I have never had this happen

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hi all,

Last Sunday I brewed a BASS Ale clone and I went to rack it today and there was a 1-2" thick slimmey sludgy scummy head on top, like melted coffee ice cream color. This was not Krausen, this was scum... The recipe is in the archives under "Azorean Brewers Big Bass Bitters" I used 1 teaspoon of Epsom salts to try and duplicate Burton on Trent style water, I could not find Burton Water Salts, Brew Master's Bible suggested Epsom salts as a good substitute. This is the only thing new that I have ever done. BTW it tasted great and the S.G. was 1.010, O.G. was 1.043. I am not worried about the head, just want to know what caused it. It really did tase great :-) Any ideas or similar experiences ?

Paul.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Burtonizing

Post by BillyBock »

Hey Paul, I can't say what the sludge was but over the summer I made a pale ale and duplicated the Burton water profile. Whew--they were right! Sulfate is a laxative. Wow, I'd never been so regular. Watch out with your Epsom salt addition :-)

v/r
Bill
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

In the bowels of the brewhouse

Post by Fraoch »

Jeees, how much Ep salt did you add????
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

On Target Burton Water

Post by BillyBock »

I was able to get my composite water w/i 5% error of the classic Burton Water profile which has about 600-700ppm Sulfate (mostly from gypsum). I double checked my math and measurements before proceeding. I read that regular drinkers of Bass Ale are quite the regular crowd :-) Other than this, that was the best beer I've made to-date (first w/ temp. control) Hey..who needs Milk of Magnesia, drink a Burton Pale Ale :-)
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Wait a sec

Post by BillyBock »

After a little recollection, I seem to remember something similar happening when I used British Ale II (WY1335?) for my pale ale. No ill effects, tasted great. What yeast did you use?

v/r
Bill
Gus

Possible Slime Culprit

Post by Gus »

Can't precipitated protein cause such a slimy scum on primary fermenting brews?

I have heard not to worry about them but try to rack 'Under' them and leave that in the primary.

Glad it tasted good. I need to try a Bass clone.

-Gus