Fluoride in tap water.....

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

delkenbier

Fluoride in tap water.....

Post by delkenbier »

Does anyone know the effect, if any, fluoride in tap water will have on a brew?
cronix

carbon filter

Post by cronix »

I use tap watter... Not straight out of the tap ... I use a carbon filter. Im pretty sure it takes care of the chlorine...

Fluoride...!? Im not sure if the filter will do anything about it.. However look at the bright side... Your beer will help enhance teeth care... lol :-)

:lol:

Maybe the boiling of the wort, or a pre-boil might evaporate the fluoride... but im just guessing...
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Fluoride in tap water.....

Post by billvelek »

delkenbier wrote:Does anyone know the effect, if any, fluoride in tap water will have on a brew?
Are you having a problem with your beer that you suspect is from flouride, ... or are you just curious? I've brewed for about a dozen years, and this is the first time that I've ever encountered any question about flouride. A _quick_ google search and review indicates that this has not been much of a concern in the past, and that there are a number of brewers -- including presumably commercial brewers (i.e., ProBrewers forums) which have responded to that rare question that they have never noticed any problems. Since I don't think there is any way to remove the flouride, I guess you could opt to use bottled water, but I'd bet my front teeth that 99% of homebrewers (and probably commercial brewers) are using their local water without a problem. I'm sure that many of them have flouride in their water. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it; if you are having problems with your brew, it is most likely from something else.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768