BeerTools Ingredient Database ... is it missing anything?

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

The following Simpson's malts do not seem to be listed:
Black Malt
Dark Crystal (70-80L)
Extra Dark Crystal (155-165L)
Medium Crystal (50-60L)
moino007

WYEAST XL 3726 FARMHOUSE ALE yeast strain

Post by moino007 »

Hi, this yeast is not on your ingredient list. Here are its specificities .Sorry, it's in french.

3726 Farmhouse Ale:

Cette levure produit des esters complexes en balance avec des touches d
herbaljoe

US-05 and Pale Chocolate

Post by herbaljoe »

The online database is missing Safale US-05 dry yeast and Pale Chocolate malt.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: US-05 and Pale Chocolate

Post by billvelek »

herbaljoe wrote:The online database is missing Safale US-05 dry yeast and Pale Chocolate malt.
I wasn't aware that there is an on-line database; are you talking about the selection list that pops up in the recipe generator? If not, could someone direct me to the database?

Thanks.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jonwolgamuth

New Hops?

Post by jonwolgamuth »

Northern Brewer has a lot of new hops that aren't listed in the database.

Ahtanum, Boadicea, Lublin, Marynka, Newport, Northdown, Premiant, Progress, Sladek, Sterling, and Vanguard.

Thanks!
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: New Hops?

Post by billvelek »

jonwolgamuth wrote:Northern Brewer has a lot of new hops that aren't listed in the database.

Ahtanum, Boadicea, Lublin, Marynka, Newport, Northdown, Premiant, Progress, Sladek, Sterling, and Vanguard.

Thanks!
I repeat my questions posted on October 29th which were never answered by anyone, i.e. -- are you talking about the selection list that pops up in the recipe generator? If not, could someone direct me to the database?

Now, I have looked again and can't find anything identified as a "database", but I do find a drop-down list of ingredients that can be selected as part of the "Recipe Search" and also drop-down lists in the "Recipe Generator". Is that what everyone is calling a "database", or is there something else somewhere?

If that is the database, then some of what you have listed above are, in fact, in there now. The list for the "Recipe Search" has all of the above except for Boadicea, Premiant, and Sladek. The lists for the "Recipe Generator" vary depending upon whether you are selecting for bittering hops, or flavor, or aroma. For example, Ahtanum does not appear in the list for bittering, but it does for flavor or aroma hops, while on the other hand Newport does appear in the bittering hops list but not in the flavor or aroma lists. Boadicea, Premiant, and Sladek do not appear in any of the drop-down lists.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jonwolgamuth

Re: New Hops?

Post by jonwolgamuth »

billvelek wrote:
jonwolgamuth wrote:Northern Brewer has a lot of new hops that aren't listed in the database.

Thanks!
I repeat my questions posted on October 29th which were never answered by anyone, i.e. -- are you talking about the selection list that pops up in the recipe generator? If not, could someone direct me to the database?

Now, I have looked again and can't find anything identified as a "database", but I do find a drop-down list of ingredients that can be selected as part of the "Recipe Search" and also drop-down lists in the "Recipe Generator". Is that what everyone is calling a "database", or is there something else somewhere?

If that is the database, then some of what you have listed above are, in fact, in there now. The list for the "Recipe Search" has all of the above except for Boadicea, Premiant, and Sladek. The lists for the "Recipe Generator" vary depending upon whether you are selecting for bittering hops, or flavor, or aroma. For example, Ahtanum does not appear in the list for bittering, but it does for flavor or aroma hops, while on the other hand Newport does appear in the bittering hops list but not in the flavor or aroma lists. Boadicea, Premiant, and Sladek do not appear in any of the drop-down lists.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Purely the selection list that you can choose from when creating recipes. I just ordered some of the Ahtanum hops and wasn't able to list it in my recipe. I admit to copy/pasting the list of hops that NB said were new without checking to see if they were in the dropdown.

I don't know of any "database" that you can access in any way other than through BT's user interface. I'm only assuming that it is database driven.

I know this doesn't really help much, but it is my perspective on the product--that it is missing key ingredients that are available to use today.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

Thanks for your response, jonwolgamuth. For what it's worth, the BeerToolsPro software does NOT include Boadicea, Premiant, or Sladek, either. I would assume it's because Jeff and Lathe probably haven't been able to locate the data needed for the program -- like typical AA%, etc. But I'm confident they will be added when they can be.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
herbaljoe

Re: US-05 and Pale Chocolate

Post by herbaljoe »

billvelek wrote:
herbaljoe wrote:The online database is missing Safale US-05 dry yeast and Pale Chocolate malt.
I wasn't aware that there is an on-line database; are you talking about the selection list that pops up in the recipe generator? If not, could someone direct me to the database?

Thanks.

Bill Velek
Sorry for the delay Bill. The "database" I was referring to is what appears in the dropdown list when you are in the Recipe Calculator (not the Generator). I only use the Calculator when creating recipes. This list of items is significantly smaller than the list contained within the standalone version of BeerTools Pro software. It's also a little tricky because the items shown in the Calculator aren't always in alphabetical order. It seems like the ones that were added as an afterthought show up at the bottom of the list regardless of what letter they start with. So, keep this in mind when browsing the list.

Cheers :)
gearjunkie

Sorachi Ace

Post by gearjunkie »

I'm not sure if this thread is still being watched or not, but I have a suggestion to add in Sorachi Ace hops.

I have a batch of pellets which are 14%AA, and the homebrew store I go to also gets leaves in sometimes which they list as 13-16% AA. They have a lemony/citrusy aroma and were developed at the Sapporo Breweries as a hybrid of Brewers Gold and Saaz.

Hope this helps.
herbaljoe

Post by herbaljoe »

Summit hops are missing.

Safale US-05 and Pale Chocolate are still missing.
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Are you sure? US-05 and Pale Chocolate show up in my database. Summit is missing. I'm using version 1.5.2.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
BurninBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

New Zealand hops

Post by BurninBrewer »

strains and info can be found here...

http://www.nzhops.co.nz/index.html

specifically I would like to see green bullet, riwaka, NZ Cascade, Super Alpha, and Motueka in there at the minimum.....

these are available in at least one local shop here and are amazing hops that are not suffering from the hope shortage(albeit they are about a dollar more per 2 oz's, but well worth it)
Bender
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bender »

when you put in a recipe it calculates a cost to brew. Where does this figure come from? It it an average? Is there a way to actually input what I paid for the ingredients (all of them) to get a accurate cost? Also is there a way to put a price in for other items such as canned pumpkin, vanilla beans, coffee...If this has already been discussed, my apologies and if someone could direct me to the info as I am new here.
Cheers
Bender
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Depends on how you use the program.

1) My ingredients.
You can open the items and adjust the pricing.

2) Grains DB.
If you don't utilize the my ingredients then you need to open the item up directly in your recipe and adjust there. You don't have permission to change any preset info on items in the DB. Hope that make sense.

Jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)