1st batch problems

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

graveytrain

1st batch problems

Post by graveytrain »

OK halfway thru waiting to drink my first batch. Now I know that the first step to homebrewing is relaxing, but I can help but worry about this batch. It is my first and a Pale Ale batch. Upon tasting after racking to my secondary it really taste like it had little flavor almost like tea... It came from a kit

.75 lbs cyrstal light 60l
7.04 lbs John Bull Light
1 oz northern brewer - 60min
.5 oz NB -15min
1 oz Cascade-15min
.5 oz cascade-2min
muntons dry yeast

So is there something in the boiling of the wort that affect flavor in the beer or will its flavor deepen with time in the secodnary and in the bottle. Kinda strange comnsidering it is mostly extract that i think it tastes way weak...
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Without seeing

Post by fitz »

Without seeing exactly what you may or may have not done it is hard to explain what may be wrong if anything.
How much volume did you use for your boil? Volume definitely plays a role in hop conversion How much was your final volume in your fermentor after boiling?
The beer is flat, and warm, so you may be worrying for nothing. Carbonation gives the beer a completely different taste. Also, you may want to try a darker beer if you want a more robust flavor. Pale ale is generally lightly flavored so the brewer can so off the hops he used to make it. If the kit was an old kit, the hops may have been a little less than perfect also. It still has to taste better than store bought!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Tannins?

Post by BillyBock »

Hi, Graveytrain. Your description of tea makes me wonder if you have tannins in your wort. Can you describe your steeping methods for your crystal malt?

v/r
Bill