CO2 gauge problems...

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

CO2 gauge problems...

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Hey everyone,

I built my dad a kegerator, and the CO2 gauge that he bought is actually used for MIG/TIG welding. I didn't even look at it until after I had already started carbonating his new beer.

When the CO2 stopped flowing, I realized that the gauge measurement I was reading wasn't psi, but litre/min. I set the gauge at 15 litre/min. Does anyone know how to convert this to psi? I'm concerned that I severely overcarbonated the beer.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

psi conversion

Post by Legman »

Suthrn,
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can convert litre/min. to psi. I think that they are 2 completely different things. If you're insistent on using that gauge, you may just have to start low and work you way up till you get it where you want.

If you have over carbonated the beer, just pull it out of refrigeration to warm it up and keep letting off the pressure from the keg.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

I didn't think there was a way to convert it either, just figured I'd check.

I ended up going out last night and finding a replacement gauge that would fit the regulator. It's all set up now and working nicely.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB